Sunday Times sting operation
In 2012, Stirrup was one of a number of retired senior army officers targeted in a sting operation by Sunday Times journalists posing as representatives of a Korean drone manufacturer.
Stirrup reportedly offered to approach General Sir Peter Wall and Air Marshal Stephen Hillier. He also claimed to be a friend of the Defence Minister in the Lords, and the Armed Forces Minister. After being confronted by the Sunday Times, Stirrup denied offering to lobby, and said his earlier meeting had merely been an exploratory discussion.
UK: Peers cleared of breaching the lobby code
From ITV News:
- Two peers accused of boasting about the way they lobbied top officials to secure military contracts did not break any rules, according to a Whitehall investigation.
- The report cleared the former Head of the Army, Lord Dannatt and former Chief of the Defence staff Lord Stirrup. It dismissed a complaint that they used their influence to secure the contracts for private firms.
- Outgoing CDS to receive peerage, number10.gov.uk, 27 October 2010.
- Galloping Greed of the old warhorses, Insight, Sunday Times, 14 October 2012, pp.13-15.
- Galloping Greed of the old warhorses, Insight, Sunday Times, 14 October 2012, p.15.
- 'Peers cleared of breaching the lobby code', ITV News, 13 June 2013.