Powers, who has previously worked for the Conservative Party, is currently an associate at Public First, an agency founded in 2016 by her former Westbourne colleague and ex-Conservative government adviser James Frayne. 
Powers previously headed Westbourne's energy practice, with particular focus on smart metering and smart grids, as well as the UK gas and electricity market. Her brief there included:
- Direction of public affairs activity agency-wide
- Providing senior strategic counsel to clients on reputation management
- Leader of energy practice
- Responsibility for new business
- Management of account managers, account executives and interns 
Before joining Westbourne, Powers was head of corporate affairs at the Energy Saving Trust, starting in 2007. Her responsibilities covered public affairs, media relations and stakeholder management.