Ilan Berman is an Adjunct Professor at the American University School of International Service, he trades in the "Iran threat". He is the author of Tehran Rising: Iran's Challenge to the United States. He is the vice president for Policy, American Foreign Policy Council and is listed as an "expert" on the right-wing Zionist Middle East Forum's website. He is also a contributing expert with the Ariel Center for Policy Research.
Pushing for action against Iran
In a testimony before the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Armed Services Berman used a dubious Israeli source to push for action against Iran:
- This past December, Lt. Gen. Dan Halutz, the chief of staff of the Israeli defense forces, told a Knesset parliamentary committee that Iran will reach the “point of no return” in acquiring the knowledge to build a nuclear weapon by March 2006.
He concluded by saying:
- ...the goal of the United States should not simply be to contain and deter a nuclear Iran. It should also be to create the necessary conditions for a fundamental political transformation within its borders, through forceful public diplomacy, economic assistance to opposition elements, international pressure and covert action.
- American Foreign Policy Council - Vice President
- Ariel Center for Policy Research - Contributing Expert
- Committee on the Present Danger
- Eurasia Program - Director
- Iran Freedom Initiative - Director
- JINSA - editor of its flagship publication the Journal of International Security Affairs
- Middle East Forum
Berman serves as an editor for the following publications:
- Eurasia Security Watch
- Iran Democracy Monitor
- Journal of International Security Affairs
- Missile Defense Briefing Report
Contact, References and Resources
- Tel: 202-543-1006
- Fax: 202-543-1007
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Partnership in Transition: US-Israel Strategic Cooperation Beyond the Cold War, (Washington, DC: Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs, 2000).
- Tehran Rising: Iran's Challenge to the United States(Rowman & Littlefield, 2005)
- Dismantling Tyranny: Transitioning Beyond Totalitarian Regimes (Rowman & Littlefield, 2005) - co-edited with J. Michael Waller