Coal methane extraction
In June 2014 Egdon bought significant shale assets in Britain from Alkane Energy, which specialises in extracting conventional gas for power generation and has a long history of coal mine methane extraction (CMM).
Shale gas exploration
In August 2016 the company increased its stake in a gas exploration and production licence near Redcar in North Yorkshire, where it sees the potential for future shale drilling. It acquired an extra 20 per cent in the PEDL 68 licence in the Cleveland Basin from DESS Energy, taking its total share in the block to 68 per cent.
The block comprises two areas about 20 to 30 miles north of Kirby Misperton, the site where Third Energy is getting ready to frack after North Yorkshire County Council approved its plans in June 2016.
Egdon is also a junior partner in another new licence for shale gas exploration, PEDL 259, which the Government provisionally awarded to Third Energy in the UK government's 14th Onshore Licensing Round. 
Partner companies in the UK
- Premier Oil is Egdon's largest shareholder.
- WALTER ROOKEHURST ROBERTS, SECRETARY, Appointed: 21/07/2000, Director Appointed: 30/07/2001
- MARK ANTHONY WILLIAM ABBOTT, Director Appointed: 26/08/1997. Also director of UKOOG
- Jeremy James Field Appointed: 10/02/2012
- PHILIP HENRY PETER STEPHENS, Director Appointed: 21/10/2004
- Andrew David Hindle
- Neil O'Brien, CEO of Alkane Energy, Egdon shareholder, appointed June 2014
Relevant MPs in licence areas
- Emily Gosden, Egdon boosts stake in North Yorkshire gas field with shale potential, The Telegraph, 22 August 2016
- Emily Gosden, Egdon boosts stake in North Yorkshire gas field with shale potential, The Telegraph, 22 August 2016, accessed 24 August