Diamond Light Source Ltd
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility, located at the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus in Oxfordshire. It was established in 2002 as a joint venture limited company funded by the UK Government via the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) and by the Wellcome Trust, owning 86% and 14% of the shares respectively. Diamond now employs over 400 scientists, engineers, technicians and support staff from over 40 countries worldwide.
Board of Directors
- Lord Broers - Chairman (former President of the Royal Academy of Engineering, former Chairman of the House of Lords Select Committee for Science and Technology from 2004 to 2007)
- Prof Gerhard Materlik, CBE - CEO of DLS
- Andy Akerman - Director of Finance and Corporate Services
- Prof Jim Naismith - Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, The University of St Andrews
- Simon Jeffreys - Non-Executive Director (Chief Operating Officer, Wellcome Trust, former Chief Administrative Officer for Fidelity International, former partner in PricewaterhouseCoopers)
- Marshall Davies - Non-Executive Director (former President of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society, trustee of Science Media Centre
- Prof Tony Ryan, OBE - Non-executive Director (Pro Vice Chancellor, The University of Sheffield)
- Prof John Womersley - Non-executive Director (Chief Executive, Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC))
- Prof Gerhard Materlik, CBE, FRS was appointed CEO of Diamond Light Source in 2001. He was previously Director of the Hamburg Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory at the German Electron Synchrotron (DESY), where he worked since 1978, and was also Professor of Physics at Hamburg University.
- Prof Trevor Rayment, joined Diamond as Director of Physical Sciences in 2008, is a Professor of Physical Chemistry at the University of Birmingham.
- Prof David Stuart, FRS is MRC Professor of Structural Biology at the University of Oxford, and Head of the Division of Structural Biology at the Department of Clinical Medicine. He was appointed Director of Life Sciences at Diamond in 2008.
- Prof Richard Walker joined Diamond Light Source as Technical Director in January 2002. He was a key member of the Daresbury Laboratory SRS team for over 12 years before joining Sincrotrone Trieste in Italy where as Director of the Light Sources Division he was responsible for the development of ELETTRA. Prof. Walker is visiting Professor of Physics at the University of Oxford.
- Andy Akerman joined Diamond as Director of Finance and Corporate Services in 2009. With over 30 years experience in financial management, he was most recently Finance Director of the Defence Aviation Repair Agency.
- Diamond House
- Harwell Science and Innovation Campus
- Oxfordshire OX11 0DE
- Tel: 01235 778000
- Fax: 01235 778499
- E-mail: dlsenquiries AT diamond.ac.uk