He was appointed as 'Brexit' Secretary by the incoming Prime Minister Theresa May on 13 July 2016, a new brief she created to help coordinate Britain's departure from the European Union. Davis has been a staunch Brexit supporter and campaigned devotedly for 'Vote Leave' in the 2016 referendum. 
A veteran Conservative won his seventh successive election campaign when he was re-elected in the 2015 general election. He further increased his majority to 16,195 over closest rival Labour Party candidate Edward Hart, and gained 54% of the vote. 
Stance on frackingThe Daily Mail in 2013, Davis said:
- 'Right now, Britain’s energy policy is a costly mess. Subsidised wind farms scar our countryside but stand idle on the coldest days.'
- 'Even the Government accepts its growth-killing green policies will cost Britain many tens of billions. We need an urgent and radical change, of course.'
- 'Britain’s immense shale gas reserves hold the key to a new energy strategy that will boost growth, create jobs and cut bills and carbon emissions.'
- 'Clean, cheap, plentiful and safe, shale gas is an opportunity that Britain cannot afford to ignore. It is time to wave goodbye to wind farms, shelve the solar panels and get fracking.' 
Davis's constituency includes four oil and gas licence blocks, awarded by the Oil and Gas Authority under the 14th licensing round in 2015. Two shale licences were awarded to Cuadrilla and two to Europa. There are plans to conduct 2D seismic surveying, but as of November 2016 no applications or plans for shale wells were underway. 
Davis has a generally voted against increased regulations on fracking. 
- 26 January 2015: voted against making fracking companies apply for an environmental permit before conducting exploratory drilling. He was absent for a vote on an amendment to the Infrastructure Bill to include an 18 month moratorium on fracking.
- 11 February 2015: absent for a vote on requiring more pre-conditions for where fracking can take place.
- 16 December 2015: voted in favour of weakening regulations on fracking in protected areas and national parks.
- Rt Hon David Davis, www.parliament.uk, accessed 4 November 2012.
- 'Who's in who's out? May's new cabinet', 14 July 2016, BBC News, accessed 15 July 2016
- General Election:David Davis increases majority in Haltemprice and Howden Hull Daily Mail, 8 May 2015, accessed 12 May 2015
- Electoral Commission Search: Arbuthnot Banking Group Plc, accessed 1 July 2015.
- Electoral Commission, Donation search, accessed 2 March 2015
- David Davis, Cheap, clean and safe: get fracking..., The Daily Mail, 30 June 2014, accessed 28 December 2016.
- Oil and gas: licensing rounds, GOV.uk, accessed 14 November 2016.
- TheyWorkForYou | David Davis, TheyWorkForYou, accessed 28 December 2016.