Council for Responsible Nutrition
A lobby group (trade association) representing ingredient suppliers and manufacturers in the dietary supplement industry. CRN members claim to adhere to a 'strong code of ethics, comply with dosage limits and manufacture dietary supplements to high quality standards under good manufacturing practices'. According to CRN's website its mission is to 'improve the environment for member companies to responsibly market dietary supplements by enhancing confidence among media, healthcare professionals, decision makers and consumers.'
Among the lobbying accompishments that CRN boast of on their website are the key role it played in all major dietary supplement legislation passed since the Rogers/Proxmire Vitamin Bill of 1976, including the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990 (NLEA), the Dietary Supplement Act of 1992 (DSA), the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA), the Food and Drug Administration Modernization Act of 1997 (FDAMA).Additionally, CRN has led the industry in the regulatory arena with aggressive promotion of self-regulation while aggressively and consistently challenging FDA's over-reaching efforts to restrict dietary supplement sales.
CRN participates in the actions of Codex Alimentarius, the Food Industry Codex Coalition, the Trans-Atlantic Business Dialogue (TABD), the World Health Organization (WHO), regulatory agencies of numerous countries, and the international policies of U.S. government agencies.
In 2007 CRN used the services of the Alpine Group Inc. to lobby the federal government It also co-funded together with GNC, Inc. the survey on dietary supplements consumption conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs.
Nutramax Laboratories, Inc. | Pharmavite LLC | Perrigo Company | Wyeth Consumer Health | Mannatech, Inc. | Bayer Healthcare LLC | GlaxoSmithKline | Shaklee Corporation | Swiss Caps USA, Inc. | Nutraceutical Corporation | Leiner Health Products, Inc. | Vitamin Shoppe | GNC, Inc. | Schiff Nutrition International, Inc. | Herbalife International of America | Nu Skin International Inc./Pharmanex, LLC | Kemin Foods, L.C. | Cognis Nutrition & Health | Archer Daniels Midland Company | DSM Nutritional Products, Inc. | BASF Corporation | Linnea, Inc. | Cargill Health & Food Technologies | B&D Nutritional Ingredients, Inc.
Board of Directors:
Marjorie Fine Chair
Mark LeDoux Chair Elect
David Christensen Treasurer
Joseph LaPlaca Secretary
- President & CEO - Steve Mister
- Senior vice president, communications - Judy Blatman
- Senior vice president, scientific & regulatory affairs - Douglas MacKay
- Vice president, government relations - Mike Greene
- Vice president, scientific & international affairs - James C. Griffiths
- Vice president, scientific & regulatory affairs - Andrea Wong
- Regulatory counsel - Rend Al-Mondhiry
- Senior director, finance and administration - Sandra Khouri
- Senior director, marketing communications - Gretchen Powers
- Senior director, communications - Nancy Stewart
- Director, membership development - Carl Hyland
- Director, government relations - Ingrid Lebert
- Associate director, scientific & regulatory affairs - Haiuyen Nguyen
- Senior executive assistant to the President & CEO - Tammie Betway
- Communications associate - Ana Wilbert