Claire Bithell is a former employee of the Science Media Centre, where she variously worked in the roles of Science Information Officer, Senior Press Officer and Head of Mental Health. Since 2013 she has been Head of Media Relations at The Institute of Cancer Research.
Bithell has a degree in Cell Biology and a PhD in Biochemistry from the University of Manchester. In 2003, Bithell won the Daily Telegraph/BASF Science Writer Awards prize in the Older Category (20-28) while working on her PhD.
Science Media Centre
Bithell joined the Science Media Centre as Science Information Officer in 2004. In 2005 she was promoted to Senior Press Officer. Having left this position in February 2008 to manage the press office of the Human Tissue Authority, Bithell returned to the SMC for the new role of Head of Mental Health in June 2010.
Human Tissue Authority
The Institute of Cancer Research
- Email: claire.bithell [AT] icr.ac.uk
- Twitter: @ClaireEB1234
- Claire Bithell (2010), Mental Health Research and the Media, Presentation for Scottish Mental Health Research Network, Glasgow, 23 November 2010
- Claire Bithell (2011), Why psychiatry should engage with the media, Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 17: 82-84
- The Institute of Cancer Research (2013), New Alliance to develop programme of lung cancer trials covering population of six million, Thursday 25 April at 00.01 BST. Accessed 17 September 2013
- Data from Internet Archive holdings of the Science Media Centre website, 2011
- Roger Highfield, How Clare stretched ahead..., The Telegraph 12:01AM BST 30 Jul 2003.
- Data from Internet Archive holdings of the Science Media Centre website, 2004
- Data from Internet Archive holdings of the Science Media Centre website, 2005
- Data from Internet Archive holdings of the Science Media Centre website, 2007