After the 2015 general election and Ed Miliband's resignation as Labour Party leader, Umunna announced his intention to stand as party leader and was quickly installed as the bookies' favourites. However, three days later, Umunna withdrew from the race to become leader claiming he was not ready for the scrutiny and attention that would be on him and those close to him. Reports have said that the reporters have been seen following Umunna's mother and even trying to get interviews from his girlfriend's 102 year-old grandmother.
Private members club
According to the Daily Mail, Umunna is a member of complimentary members-only club M Den, situated behind the Bank of England. According the website, M Den is somewhere where members 'can get up to mischief' and is an invite only club where no membership fee is required. Reports even claim Umunna has one of 50 electronic entry keys, which allows the owner to enter the club through a door on the upper floor of the restaurant called M and that the company are opening a new pop-up bar in the summer called 'Chuka bar'.
Meeting with lobbyists
In June 2015, Labour MPs including Umunna, Andy Burnham, Tristram Hunt, Emma Reynolds and Chris Bryant and peer Lord Mandelson, Conservative MP Sajid Javid and Mayor of London candidate Sol Campbell attended a bash at the Mondrian London hotel. Also in attendance were Charles Lewington (founder and MD of Hanover Communications), Tim Allan (MD of Portland) and John Lehal (founder and MD of Insight Consulting Group).
- Lisa Eynon 
- Justin Meadows 
- Jake Summer - Overseas visits: 21-23 July 2015, Washington and New York with Chuka Umunna, funded by Progressive Policy Institute; 1-2 September 2015, Amsterdam with Chuka Umunna, funded by Policy Network 
Contributions and secondments
Between April 2014 and April 2015, thirteen members of the Labour Party received a total of £597,404 in secondments from the big four (PricewaterhouseCoopers, KPMG, Deloitte and Ernst and Young). During the time Ummuna received two secondments worth £68,050 from PwC.
- Mr Chuka Umunna, www.parliament.uk, accessed 15 May 2013.
- Frances Perraudin and Rowena Mason Chuka Umunna withdraws from Labour leadership contest Guardian, 15 May 2015, accessed 18 May 2015.
- Dan Bloom Chuka Umunna withdraws from Labour leadership contest just three days after announcing his bid Mirror, 15 May 2015, accessed 18 May 2015.
- Charlotte Griffiths Exposed! Chuck-it-in Chuka's shady secret: Labour MP belongs to members-only 'den' where he has his own £300 cognac locker and a bar named after him - so is this what rattled leadership contender? Daily Mail, 16 May 2015, accessed 18 May 2015.
- David Singleton Labour MPs and lobbyists out in force at FT summer party Total Politics, 24 June 2015, accessed 24 June 2015.
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 25 April 2016
- Dods people, 'Arrivals, moves and departures', Civil Service World, accessed 3 November 2015
- Electoral Commission, Donation Search, accessed 4 March 2015
- Carlos Martin Tornero Labour to win, if Big Four donation patterns become self-fulfilling prophecy The Accountant, 5 May 2015, accessed 18 May 2015.