|Part of the Powerbase Brexit Portal.|
It has stated that its aim is to 'bring together those from across Europe and North America' who oppose a federalist EU,'so that Baroness Thatcher's vision of a free trading, decentralised, deregulated and democratic Europe of nation-states' can be realised (text no longer on its website).
Support for Brexit
The Bruges Group supports Brexit.
It says it is 'spearheading the intellectual battle against European integration, EU federalism, centralisation and enlargement', as well as 'promoting the positive alternatives to membership of the EU and the need to restore British sovereignty and democracy.'
It has also long supported 'fundamental reform'of the Common Agricultural Policy, the Common Fisheries Policy, European Court and European Parliament, arguing that there has been no popular agreement to the huge transfer of power, which has already taken place from the people of Britain to Brussels.
The Bruges Group does not publish its funders.
Key people listed on Bruges Group website, Nov 2017:
- Lord Norman Tebbit, president
- Norman Lamont, vice-president
- Barry Legg, chair
- Robert Oulds, director
- John O'Sullivan, Washington D.C. Representative
- Jack Soames, Head of Media
- Address: 246 Linen Hall, 162-168 Regent Street, London W1B 5TB
- TEL: +44 (0)20 7287 4414
- Website: www.brugesgroup.com
- About, The Bruges Group, accessed 15 April 2011
- Richard Ford, Thatcher surprised to be made Bruges Group chief, The Times, 7-January-1991