PhD 03/2011 The Fletcher School, Tufts University International Relations
- Field of Specialization: International security, international law, Middle Eastern politics.
- Dissertation Title: "The Power of Politics vs. the Politics of Power: Exploring the Political Activism of Armed Groups"
- PhD Committee: Professor Richard Shultz (advisor), Professor William Martel, andProfessor Andrew Hess (The Fletcher School, Tufts University)
MA 05/2007 The Fletcher School, Tufts University International Relations
- Coursework at Tufts and Harvard universities in international security studies and conflictresolution, public international law, Middle Eastern Studies.
Certificate 08/2004 University of Oxford, George Washington University Intl. Law
- Graduate Program in International Human Rights Law
BA 07/2005 University of Bologna, Bologna (Italy) Middle Eastern Studies
- Graduated summa cum laude, GPA: 4.1/A+
- Fields of specialization: Islamic studies, comparative religions, and anthropology
- 2012 - present: Post-Doctoral Fellow, Lady Davis Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Hebrew University
- 2011 - present: Policy and Defense Consultant working with foreign Embassies in Israel, private consulting groups (Oxford Analytica) and international organizations.
- 2011 - present: Lecturer, Dept. of Middle Eastern Studies and Overseas School, Tel Aviv University
- 2008 - present Neubauer Research Fellow (2008-2010), Associate Fellow (2010- present),Institute for National Security Studies (INSS), Tel Aviv University
- 2007 - 2008: Researcher, National Security and the Law Program, Harvard Law School
- 2006 - 2008: Graduate Research Fellow, Jebsen Center for Counterterrorism Studies, Tufts University
- 2005 - 2007: Faculty Assistant and Lecturer, Dept of Political Science and Fletcher School, Tufts University
- 2002 - 2005: Researcher (2002-2003), Head of Research Department and Senior Analyst(2003-2005), CAPISE Center of Political Analysis and Social and Economic Research(Chiapas, Mexico)
Gleis, J. L. & Berti, B., Hamas and Hezbollah: A Comparative Study, Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012.
- Berti, B., 'Beyond the “Divine Victory”: New Challenges Facing Hizbollah', Strategic Assessment, Volume 14, No. 4, January 2012.
- Berti, B., 'The Ongoing Battle for Beirut: Old Dynamics and New Trends', INSS Memorandum, No. 111, December 2011.
- Berti, B., 'Hamas' Internal Challenge: The Political and Ideological Impact of Violent Salafist Groups in Gaza', Strategic Assessment, Volume 14, No. 2, July 2011.
- Berti, B., 'Lebanon: The Arab Spring's Wildcard?', INSS Insight, No. 266, July 4, 2011.
- Berti, B. & Lindenstrauss, G., 'The International Action in Libya: Revitalizing the Responsibility to Protect', INSS Insight, No. 250, April 5, 2011.
- Berti, B., 'Peace vs. Justice in Lebanon: The Domestic and Regional Implications of the UN Special Tribunal', Strategic Assessment, Volume 13, No. 4, January 2011.
- Berti, B., 'Lebanon: Between Democratization and Islamization', in Strategic Survey for Israel 2010, eds. Shlomo Brom and Anat Kurz, Tel Aviv: Institute for National Security Studies, 2010.
- Berti, B., 'Ahmadinejad in Beirut: Reasserting the Islamic Republic's Influence in Lebanon', INSS Insight, No. 217, October 20, 2010.
- Berti, B., 'The "Rebirth" of Hizbollah: Analyzing the 2009 Manifesto', Strategic Assessment, Volume 12, No. 4, February 2010.
- Berti, B., 'The Lebanese Parliamentary Elections: Back to the Future?', Strategic Assessment, Vol. 12, No. 2, August 2009.
Chapters in Edited Volumes
- Berti, B., 'Israel and the Arab Spring: Understanding Attitudes and Responses to the New Middle East' (Al Mesbar Studies and Research Center, Dubai, forthcoming)
- Berti, B., 'Lebanon's Quest for Independence: Between Fragmentation, Political Instability and Foreign Intervention', in Sai Felicia Krishna-Hensel ed. Religion, Education, and Governance in the Middle East: Between Tradition and Modernity (London: Ashgate, fall 2012).
- Berti, B., 'Lebanon', in Assaf Moghadam, ed. Militancy and Political Violence in Shiism: Trends and Patterns (London, New York: Routledge, 2011).
- Berti, B., 'Lebanon: Between Democratization and Islamization', Strategic Survey for Israel 2010 (Tel Aviv: Institute for National Security Studies, 2010).
- Berti, B., 'Electoral Reform in Lebanon', in Azzedine Layachi ed. Global Studies: The Middle East (Dubuque, IA: McGraw-Hill Contemporary Learning Series, 2010).
- Berti, B., 'Escaping the Prisoner’s Dilemma: Securing a Role for Human Rights in Counterterrorism', in Cornelia Beyer and Michael Bauer eds.: Effectively Countering Terrorism: The Challenges of Prevention, Preparedness and Response, (Brighton, Portland: Sussex Academic Press, 2009).
- Berti, B., 'Testimoni di Storia: Ricerca, Memoria e l’Insegnamento della Storia Contemporanea (Witnesses of History: Research, Memory, and the Teaching of Contemporary History), (Rome, Italy: Italian Ministry for Education, National Institute for the History of the Liberation Movement in Italy, May 2004).
- Berti, B., 'Institutionalizing “Resistance:” Armed Groups as a Political Parties and Their Role in Electoral Politics. The Case of Hezbollah', Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 34, no. 12, (December 2011).
- Berti, B.'Securing a Role for International Human Rights Law in Counter Terrorism: The Role of Judicial Review in the United Kingdom', The New England Journal of Political Sciences, volume 3, number 2 (Fall 2009).
Articles, Reports, Memos, Briefings
- Berti, B. & Guzansky, Y., 'The Syrian Crisis and the Saudi-Iranian Rivalry', Foreign Policy Research Institute E-Notes, October 2012.
- Berti, B., Hizbullah, Hamas, and the “Arab Spring—Weathering the Regional Storm?', Israel Journal of Foreign Affairs, VI: 3, September 2012.
- Berti, B. & Guzansky, Y., 'Reframing Interests and Policies in the Middle East: Lessons from the Arab Spring', E_International Relations, July 22, 2012.
- Berti, B., Petrovic, J., Noyan, G. & Grozdanova, H., Lessons Learned and Forgotten: How the Western Balkans Experience Could Help Libya, Center for Civil-Military Relations, Belgrade Centre for Security Policy, March 31, 2012.
- Berti, B., 'Lebanon in the Midst of the “Arab Spring”: Plus Ça Change…, EUROMESCO Policy Brief, 81, March 2012.
- Berti, B., 'Hizb Allah’s Counterintelligence War', Combating Terrorism Center (CTS) Sentinel, United States Military Academy at West Point, volume 5, issue 2, February 2012.
- Berti, B., 'Can Hezbollah Cope With A Changing Middle East?', Foreign Policy Research Institute, November 2011.
- Berti, B., 'Hezbollah On Trial: Lebanese Reactions to the UN Special Tribunal's Indictments, Foreign Policy Research Institute, August 2011.
- Berti, B., [Hizb Allah's Position on the Arab Spring], Combating Terrorism Center (CTS) Sentinel, United States Military Academy at West Point, volume 4, Issue 6, June 2011.
- Berti, B., 'Salafist-Jihadist Activism in Gaza: Mapping the Threat', Combating Terrorism Center (CTS) Sentinel, United States Military Academy at West Point, volume 3, Issue 5, May 2010.
- Berti, B., 'The Hezbollah Manifesto: Business as Usual for Israel?', Middle East Political and Economic Institute (MEPEI), March 30, 2010.
- Berti, B., The "Rebirth" of Hizbollah: Analyzing the 2009 Manifesto, Strategic Assessment, Volume 12, No. 4, February 2010.
- Berti, B., 'Hizb Allah’s Domestic Containment and Regional Expansion Strategies, Combating Terrorism Center (CTS) Sentinel, United States Military Academy at West Point, volume 2, Issue 11, November 2009.
- Berti, B., 'Lebanon in the aftermath of the June 2009 elections: Facing the National-Unity Government Challenge', The MidEast Peace Pulse, August 3, 2009.
- Berti, B., 'Electoral Reform in Lebanon', Mideast Monitor Online, July-August 2009.
- Berti, B., 'Lebanon: Political Tensions Heighten as the Parliamentary Elections Approach', The MidEast Peace Pulse, June 1, 2009.
- Berti, B., 'The Israeli Citizenship Model: The Role of Pluralism and Particularism In Drawing the Boundaries of the Israeli Polity', Al Nakhlah, The Fletcher School (Tufts University), Spring 2009.
- Berti, B., 'Assessing the Role of Hezbollah in the Gaza War and Its Regional Impact', Terrorism Monitor, Jamestown Foundation, March 3, 2009.
- Berti, B., 'Is the Window of Opportunity to Formulate a National Defense Strategy for Lebanon Closing?', World Security Network, January 29, 2009.
- Berti, B., Colombia’s FARC and the Basque ETA: Exploring the Tactical and Economic Partnership, Terrorism Monitor, Jamestown Foundation, January 23, 2009.
- Berti, B., Iran Aims to get Shanghaied, On Line Opinion (Australia), January 13, 2009.
- Berti, B., 'Ahmadinejad and the Shifting Political Environment in Iran', Mideast Monitor Online, August 2008. (Reprinted, OnLine Opinion [Australia], November 13, 2008).
- Berti, B., 'Rumors of Assassination Attempt on Shaykh Nasrallah as Hezbollah Reconciles with Opponents', Terrorism Focus, Jamestown Foundation, October 30, 2008.
- Berti, B., 'Reassessing the Transnational Terrorism-Criminal Link in South America's Tri-Border Area', Terrorism Monitor, Jamestown Foundation, September 22, 2008.
- Berti, B., 'Colombia’s FARC Escalate Operations to Demonstrate Their Will to Continue the Armed Struggle', Terrorism Focus, Jamestown Foundation, August 12, 2008.
- Berti, B., 'Fighting in Lebanon’s Palestinian Refugee Camps Result of Increased Islamist Influence', Terrorism Focus, Jamestown Foundation, June 24, 2008.
- Berti, B., 'Iran Looks for Allies through Asian and Latin American Partnerships', Power and Interest News Report, November 27, 2007.
- Berti, B., 'Iran Strengthens its Role in the Caspian Sea and Central Asian Regions', Power and Interest News Report, November 6, 2007.
- Berti, B., 'The Arms Control Reporter 2005'/Iran-Middle East Section (Middle East Nuclear Issues: Iran, Israel, Iran Missile Programs, Israel Missile Programs), Institute for Defense and Disarmament, Cambridge, MA (Summer/fall 2006).
- Berti, B., 'Derechos Colectivos de Pueblos Indígenas: el Territorio Ocupado' (Collective Rights of Indigenous Peoples: the Occupied Territory), CAPISE, February 2005.
- Berti, B., 'El Dilema del Prisionero: La Ocupación Militar del Territorio Indígena de Chiapas' (The Prisoner’s Dilemma: Military Occupation in the Indigenous Territory of Chiapas), CAPISE, Mexico February 2004.
- Berti, B., 'Los Derechos Colectivos de los Pueblos Indígenas' (Collective Rights of Indigenous People), presented to the United Nations’ Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms of Indigenous People, CAPISE, Mexico, August 2003.
Op-Eds and Short Articles
- Berti, B., 'Fostering Democracy in the New Middle East: Bet on the Region’s Women and Girls', United National Alliance of Civilizations, September 27, 2012
- Berti, B. & Guzansky, Y., 'Instability and State Weakness: The 'Post-Revolutionary' Challenge in the Arab World', Tel Aviv University, Moshe Dayan Center, Tel Aviv Notes, August 2012.
- Berti, B., 'Back to its Roots: Hamas and the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood', Diplomatic Courier, August 31, 2012.
- Berti, B. & Gold, Z., ['Security Vacuum in the Sinai'], National Interest, August 10, 2012.
- Berti, B., 'Next steps in Syria after Kofi Annan's exit', Christian Science Monitor, August 8, 2012.
- Berti, B., 'Will the conflict in Syria stir trouble along the Lebanese-Israeli border?', Al-Arabiya (United National Alliance of Civilizations), July 23, 2012.