Smith was appointed to the Environment Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee in November 2015. 
Views on frackingOil and Gas Authority under the 14th licensing round in 2015. Two were awarded to INEOS and one to Warwick Energy. There are plans for three shale wells and 2D and 3D seismic surveying, but no active applications are currently underway. 
The South Yorkhire MP has argued that fracking could be the saviour of the UK's steel industry. 
In an article for the New Humanist, Angela writes there should be a 'sensible, mature debate' about fracking, and MPs should consider fracking in a 'rational way and which thoroughly investigates the issues in an open-minded way'. 
In October 2016 she was appointed vice chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Unconventional Oil and Gas.
Smith has generally voted against greater regulation for the shale gas industry in the UK, and was absent for the key Infrastructure Bill vote in Parliament in 2015. 
- 26 January 2015: absent for a vote to make fracking companies apply for an environmental permit before conducting exploratory drilling. Also absent for a vote on an amendment to the Infrastructure Bill to include an 18 month moratorium on fracking.
- 11 February 2015: voted in against requiring more pre-conditions for where fracking can take place.
- 16 December 2015: voted against weakening regulations on fracking in protected areas and national parks.
- John Cafferty Regional secretary, Unison 
- James Clark 
- Steven Wilson Councillor, Sheffield City Council 
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Unconventional Oil and Gas - appointed vice chair 2016
- Smart Cities All-Party Parliamentary Group
- All-Party Parliamentary Water Group - Chair 
- Angela Smith MP www.parliament.uk, accessed 29 May 2015
- Penistone & Stocksbridge parliamentary constituency BBC News, 8 May 2015, accessed 29 May 2015
- Baroness Smith of Basildon BiographyParliament Website, accessed 25 September 2015
- Dods people, 'Arrivals, moves and departures', Civil Service World, accessed 3 November 2015
- Oil and gas: licensing rounds, GOV.uk, accessed 14 November 2016.
- Angela Smith, Angela Smith: Why fracking could be saviour of steel in the UK, Yorkshire Post, 27 January 2016, accessed 16 December 2016
- Angela Smith, Extracting shale gas: a political perspective, New Humanist, 19 November 2013, accessed 16 December 2016.
- They Work for You, Angela Smith
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 25 April 2016
- Water APPG Register Feb 16, www.parliament.uk, accessed 19 February 2016