Alex Sloan (alias)
For the purposes of the Undercover Policing Inquiry and Operation Herne, they are also referred to by the cipher HN347 (for the N cipher system see N officers). The Inquiry has ruled that the officer's real name will be restricted.
As an SDS undercover
- 1 August 2017: Application to restrict real name made by Metropolitan Police Service.
- 14 Nov 2017: minded to restrict real name, though cover name can be published. At the time, the Chair of the Inquiry, John Mitting, wrote:
- He is said to be concerned about the physical safety of himself and his family if his real name were to be published and is concerned about the risk of media intrusion and the impact which this might have on his family. The latter concern is not irrational. In the unlikely event that any member of the group targeted who is still living may be prompted into giving evidence about his deployment, publication of his cover name, which will occur, will provide that prompt. Publication of his real name would serve no useful purpose. The infringement of his right to respect for his private and family life and that of his family would not be justified under Article 8 (2) of the European Convention. A closed note accompanies these reasons.
- 8 February 2018: cover name and target group published.
- 5 March 2018: Provisional decision to restrict real name with application to be heard on 21 March 2018.
- 27 March 2018: ruling in favour of restricting real name made.
A note at ucpi.org.uk/cover-names/ notes that on 27 July 2018, the deployment dates of HN347 was changed from 1971 to 1973 to just 1971 in light of investigations.
- In the matter of section 19 (3) of the Inquiries Act 2005 Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstrations Squad ‘Minded to’ note 2, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 14 November 2017 (accessed 15 November 2017).
- Email to core participants, '20180208 UPCI to all CPs - HN343 and HN347 cover names', Undercover Research Group, 8 February 2018, referencing update of the webpage UCPI.org.uk/cover-names.
- Kate Wilkinson, Counsel to the Inquiry's Explanatory Note to accompany the Chairman's 'Minded-To' Note 12 in respect of applications for restrictions over the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad, Undercover Public Inquiry, 13 September 2018.
- Open application for a restriction order (anonymity) re: HN347, Metropolitan Police Service, 1 Aug 2017, published 5 March 2018 via ucpi.org.uk.
- Counsel to the Inquiry's Explanatory note to accompany the 'Minded-To' Note (2) in respect for restrictions over the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 14 November 2017.
- Press notice - Publication of documents relating to Special Demonstration Squad anonymity applications for hearing on 21 March 2018, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 5 March 2018.
- Sir John Mitting, In the matter of section 19(3) of the Inquiries Act 2005 Application for restriction order in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad Ruling 5 , Undercover Policing Inquiry (UCPI.org.uk), 27 March 2018.