The AMCHA Initiative, founded in 2011, describes itself as 'dedicated to investigating, documenting, educating about, and combating antisemitism at institutions of higher education in America'.. It includes 'demonizing Israel', 'delegitimizing Israel', 'applying double standards to Israel' and 'promoting boycott, divestment and sanctions' (BDS) against Israel as examples of anti-Semitism
In September 2014, the group published a list of over 200 academics working in North American universities that it called 'anti-Israel Middle East Studies professors'.
The group had been accused of waging 'a McCarthyist repression campaign to silence discussion of Palestinian rights in campus' by Rabab Ibrahim Abdulhadi, a professor of ethnic studies at San Francisco State University.
The organisation has been accused of spying on students and faculty engaged in pro-Palestinian solidarity activism. Documents obtained and published by pro-Palestinian website Electronic Intifada show it gathered data on those involved in initiatives to promote the boycott of Israel because of its treatment of Palestinians.
- Tammi Rossman-Benjamin - co-founder, University of California Santa Cruz Lecturer
- Leila Beckwith - co-founder, University of California Los Angeles Professor Emeritus
- Asa Winstanley and Nora Barrows-Friedman, Documents reveal Zionist group spied on US student delegation to Palestine, Electronic Intifada, 29 January 2014.
- Mission and Objectives, AMCHA Initiative, accessed 15 September 2014
- Identifying Antisemitic Activity, AMCHA Initiative, accessed 15 September 2014
- AMCHA publishes list of over 200 anti-Israel Middle East Studies Professors, AMCHA Initiative, accessed 15 September 2014
- 'AMCHA aims to suppress scholarship honestly discussing Israel's violation of Palestinian rights': Professor Rabab Abdulhadi responds to Israel lobby smear campaign, Mondoweiss, 23 June 2014
- Nora Barrows-Friedman, US university lecturer's shocking hate speech against Arab, Muslim students condemned, Electronic Intifada, 12 February 2013, accessed 15 September 2014
- Nora Barrows-Friedman, California students demand action against Zionist group AMCHA's spying, Electronic Intifada, 13 February, accessed 15 September 2014
- Asa Winstanley, AMCHA's secret files revealed, Electronic Intifada, 29 January 2014, accessed 15 September 2014