Atkins was appointed parliamentary under secretary of state at the Home Office on 9 November 2017.
In March 2015 Peter Tapsell, the previous MP for Louth & Horncastle, decided to retire from politics following 18 years of serving this constituency.  Atkins was selected to stand as the Conservative candidate for this safe seat in May 2015. She won with a majority of 14,977 votes. 
Her brother James Atkins works at heavyweight lobbying firm Burson-Marsteller, where he is EMEA managing director of strategy, business development and digital, and deputy chairman of B-M's EMEA public affairs practice. Victoria Atkins declared her brother's employment on the MP's financial register as 'engaged in lobbying the public sector on behalf of a third party or client'.
Stance on fracking
Atkin's constituency includes 10 oil and gas oil and gas licence blocks, the third largest share of new licenses awarded by the Oil and Gas Authority under the 14th licensing round in 2015. Six of these were awarded to GDF Suez, two to Egdon Resources, one to Cirque and one to IGas. There are plans for one shale well and 2D and 3D seismic surveying, but no active applications were underway as of November 2016. 
Atkins has backed her party's pro-fracking stance, despite local concern over these licences.
'There is a lot of controversy surrounding fracking. However, we need to have an open mind - until we know more about a specific proposal. These licences are only for exploration and it’s by no means certain that any shale gas will be found. When it comes to our future energy supplies, it is important we consider every alternative. There are also things like new jobs to take into consideration. Of course, people are concerned but there is a very robust planning system in place which will offer protection.' 
Local constituents have called on Atkins to oppose fracking. 
- 16 December 2015: voted in favour of weakening regulations on fracking in protected areas and national parks. 
- Victoria Atkins MP www.parliament.uk, accessed 22 May 2015
- Rt Hon Sir Peter Tapsell www.parliament.uk, accessed 22 May 2015
- Louth & Horncastle Parliamentary constituency BBC News, 8 May 2015, accessed 22 May 2015
- Parliament Publications Register of Members’ Financial Interests as at 13 July 2015, accessed 23 July 2015.
- Oil and gas: licensing rounds, GOV.uk, accessed 14 November 2016.
- John Fieldhouse, MP gives ‘cautious support’ to fracking as opposition mounts, Louth Leader, 24 January 2016, accessed 30 November 2016.
- Wish I had same confidence, Horncastle News, 30 January 2016, accessed 30 November 2016.
- TheyWorkForYou | Victoria Atkins, TheyWorkForYou, accessed 30 November 2016.
- Register Of Interests Of Members' Secretaries And Research Assistants 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 19 April 2016