Ratan N. Tata has been the Chairman of Tata Sons Limited, the holding company of the Tata Group, one of India’s largest business conglomerates, since 1991, joining the family business in 1962. He is Chairman of the major Tata Group companies including Tata Motors, Tata Steel, Tata Consultancy and several other Tata companies. He also serves as a director of Fiat SpA, Alcoa and Bombay Dyeing and Manufacturing Company Limited amongst a number of other appointments and directorships including a position on the UK Prime Minister’s Business Council for Britain.
Directorships as of Feb 2012
- Director Ford Foundation
- Chairman Tata Steel now merged with Corus Group Limited
- Chairman Tata Sons Limited
- Chairman Tata Motors Ltd.
- Chairman Emeritus Nelco Ltd.
- Chairman and Member of Remuneration Committee Tata Teleservices Ltd.
- Chairman Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd
- Chairman Tata Chemicals
- Chairman Tata Iron & Steel Co. Ltd
- Chairman Tata Power Company
- Chairman Tata Tea Ltd
- Chairman Tata Industries Ltd.
- Former Director Tata AutoComp Systems Limited
- Former Director Reserve Bank of India
- Trustee Silatech
- Director Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Chairman Tata Chemicals Ltd.
- Chairman Indian Hotels Co. Ltd.
- Chairman Tata Global Beverages Limited
- Independent Non Executive Director The Bombay Dyeing and Manufacturing Company Limited
- Chairman Tata Consultancy Services Limited
- Independent Director Fiat S.p.A.
- Former Chairman (2002-9) Tata Teleservices (Maharashtra) Ltd.
- Director, Member of International Committee and Member of Public Issues Committee Alcoa
- Director and Member of Public Issues Committee Closure Systems International, Inc.
- Advisor Mitsubishi Corporation,
- Advisor American International Group
- Advisor JP Morgan Chase
- Advisor to RollsRoyce
- Advisor to BMB Group
- Advisor to NYSE Euronext, Inc.
- Advisor to Booz-Allen and Hamilton Inc.
- Advisor to American International Group
- Advisor to RAND's Center for Asia Pacific Policy
- Advisor to Programme Board of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundations' India AIDS Initiative
- President of the Court of the Indian Institute of Science,
- Chairman of the Council of Management of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
- Trustee University of Southern California
- Trustee Cornell University
- Trustee Ohio State University
- Trustee University of Warwick
- Member of the board of Governors of the East-WestCenter
- Director of Haldia Petrochemicals Limited
- Appointed to the International Investment Council set up by the President of the Republic of South Africa in 1999
- Member of the Asia Pacific advisory committee to the board of Directors of the New York Stock Exchange
- Chairman of the Investment Commission set up by the Government of India
- Business Week, Investor profiles, Tata group Ratan Tata Accessed 20/02/2012
- The Hindu newspaper, Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 Padma Vibhushan for Pranab, Ratan Tata, Sachin; no Bharat Ratna for seventh year Accessed 20/02/2012