Maria Eagle has been the Labour Party MP for Garston and Halewood since 2010. Previously she was MP for Liverpool Garston from 1997 to 2010. She was appointed shadow secretary of state for transport in 2010. She is the sister of fellow Labour MP Angela Eagle.
In the 2015 general election, Eagle was re-elected with a majority of 27, 146. 
In September 2015 following the election of new Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn Eagle was given the post of shadow defence secretary. Her stance on Trident renewal may bring her into conflict with Corbyn, who has voiced vehement opposition to the nuclear submarine system. 
- Maria Eagle, www.parliament.uk, accessed 24 August 2013.
- Sarah Priddy, PIL: Current Members Related to Other Current or Former Members - Commons Library Standard Note, 13 September 2013.
- Garston & Halewood Parliamentary constituency BBC News, accessed 21 May 2015
- Who's who in Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet BBC News Accessed 16 September 2015
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 20 April 2016