In September 2015 he overwhelmingly won the Labour leadership contest and was appointed party leader.
Support for a ban on fracking
In July 2019 the Labour Party released its analysis showing that fracking, if it goes ahead in Britain, would stop the country reaching a net zero target for carbon emissions by 2050.
- “We need urgent action to tackle the climate emergency, and that means the prime minister immediately banning fracking once and for all.
- “Instead of bending the knee to a few corporations who profit from extracting fossil fuels from the ground, we need to change course now. It’s the next generation and the world’s poorest who will pay the price if this Conservative government continues to put the interests of a few polluters ahead of people.” 
About 100 people braved torrential rain outside the Preston New Road site to talk to the Labour leader over tea and to listen to a short speech.
Corbyn told campaigners that:
- “I want to see a green industrial revolution in Britain. I want to see sustainability. We cannot go on with this level of CO2 emissions and global warming, otherwise we are all damaged if not doomed.
- A green industrial revolution will create around 400,000 jobs, high-skilled, good quality, well-paid jobs, all around the country. That is a future for our children. We have a short window, as a people, to reduce CO2 emissions, to prevent global warming beyond 1.5C, in order to protect the planet.
“I want to say well done everyone in Lancashire that opposed fracking here, as in Derbyshire and other places, in Sussex, and the way in which you have made sure the issue is kept alive.” 
Labour leadership contest 2015
- Simon Fletcher, campaign director. Fletcher has worked a number of key Labour figures including; Ken Livingstone for twelve years, including eight years as his chief of staff when he was Mayor of London; Tony Benn and is believed to have been a member of Socialist Action; and Ed Miliband, as his trade union liaison officer. He will work for Corbyn out of the Transport Salaried Staffs' Association Union offices in London.
- Kat Fletcher, agent. Was elected president of the National Union of Students in 2004, after running on an anti-tuition fees ticket and defeating the Labour Students candidate. Fletcher then worked at the Centre for Excellence in Leadership, as Ed Miliband's head of volunteers in his Labour leadership campaign in 2010 and as Corbyn's agent in the 2015 general election. She has been a councillor since 2013 and is currently deputy mayor on Islington council and runs small London pub company Handmade Pubs.
- Jon Trickett, adviser. MP for Hemsworth since 1996 and the current Labour Party deputy chairman, Tricket was one of the first MPs to back Corbyn. As an MP Trickett has worked as a PPS to Peter Mandelson and was a key ally of Ed Miliband, serving as his shadow minister without a portfolio and worked with him on speeches and policy announcements.
- Harry Fletcher, volunteer. Was assistant general secretary of trade union NAPO for over twenty years until 2013. Founder of Digital Trust, a not-for-profit group aiming to tackle digital abuse.
- Len McCluskey. The general secretary of Unite, Britain's biggest trade union and Labour's biggest donor.
- Janet Chapman
- Katy Clark
- Neale Coleman - Policy director, Labour Party
- Stephanie Driver - Head of events, Labour Party *
- Andrew Fisher - Political adviser
- Kat Fletcher - Researcher
- Simon Fletcher - Chief of staff
- Billie Heath
- Joss MacDonald - Diary and correspondence administrator, overseas visit to Israel and West Bank 11-15 November, funded by Fateh UK
- Anneliese Midgley
- Seamus Milne
- James Murray - Housing policy adviser, Executive member of London Borough of Islington
- Nicolette Petersen
- Nancy Platts
- Jack Reardon Bond
- Gavin Sibthorpe - Events officer/researcher
- Joshua Simons
- Kevin Slocombe - Media and spokesperson services for Labour Party
- William Smith - Political assistant | Niall Sookoo | Ayse Vali - Diary manager
- Angie Williams - Office administrator 
- Jeremy Corbyn, www.parliament.uk, 29 October 2013.
- Mikey Smith, Jeremy Corbyn demands Boris Johnson stop 'bending the knee' and ban fracking, The Mirror, 29 July 2019, accessed 30 July 2019
- Ruth Hayhurst, Labour leader joins Lancashire campaigners to demand ban on fracking, DrillorDrop, 30 July 2019, accessed same day
- BBC News Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn enters race, 3 June 2015, accessed 27 July 2015.
- Emily Gosden Jeremy Corbyn's team: the key figures backing the left-winger's leadership bid Telegraph, 26 July 2015, accessed 27 July 2015.
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 19 April 2016