He was then elected as a member of the European Parliament, representing Scotland for the Liberal Democrats from July 2009 to June 2014. Lyon was the Liberal Democrats' only member of the European Parliament for Scotland during this time. Whilst in the European Parliament Lyon was vice-chair of the Committee on Budgets and a member of the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development.
On the 12 January 2015 he was announced as a senior consultant to the agri-food practice at PR and lobbying firm Hume Brophy, and will be providing corporate communications and government relations support to the sector. The Herald (Scotland) reported that Hume Brophy "counts controversial multinational Monsanto as a client". Alan Smyth, a Scottish National Party MEP, said: "George is free to be as extreme on GM as he likes, and is free to voice his view, but he should be open about whose shilling he is taking. George has every right to be Monsanto's mouthpiece, but his views should carry a suitable hazard warning label so people can judge how impartial those views are."
Support for GM
Lyon is an outspoken supporter of genetically modified (GM) crops. In early 2011 he hosted a "debate" in Brussels on the health and environmental impact of GMO cultivation and was the major cited source of a newspaper story that had this breathless opener:
- Europe's farmers are being left behind as the rest of the world embraces the potential of genetically modified crops to boost food production, reduce inputs and protect the environment. That was the claim from Scots LibDem MEP George Lyon, who this week hosted a debate on the health and environmental impact of GMO cultivation in Brussels.
- Committee on Budgets, 25 January 2012 - 30 June 2014
- Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development, 16 July 2009 - 18 January 2012 and 19 January 2012 - 30 June 2014
- Delegation for relations with Australia and New Zealand, 16 September 2009 - 30 June 2014
- Committee on Budgets, 19 January 2012 - 24 January 2012
- Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection, 16 July 2009 - 18 January 2012
- Delegation for relations with Canada, 16 September 2009 - 30 June 2014
- Committee on Petitions, 16 December 2009 - 18 January 2012
- Committee on Fisheries, 19 January 2012 - 30 June 2014 
- European Parliament, Declaration of Members' Financial Interests: George Lyon, 02 July 2009, accessed 03 November 2009.
- European Parliament, MEP Directory: George Lyon, accessed 03 November 2009.
- European Parliament, MEP Directory: George Lyon, accessed 30 November 2010.
- Scottish Parliament elections Argyll and Bute, accessed 14 January 2015
- Craig Borland Lyon loses Euro seat as SNP tops Argyll and Bute poll The Buteman, 26 May 2014, accessed 14 January 2015
- George Lyon European Parliament, accessed 14 January 2015
- George Lyon joins Hume Brophy as Senior Consultant Public Affairs Networking, 12 January 2015, accessed 14 January 2015
- Paul Hutcheon, Row as ex-MEP takes up lobbyist role for GM firm, The Herald (Scotland), 25 jan 2015, accessed 25 Jan 2015
- EU - Farmers are losing out over GM rules, Meat Trade News Daily, 1 Feb 2011, acc 17 Mar 2011