David Frost (born 21 February 1965) is a former British diplomat, currently a senior director on loan to the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills until November 2013.
From career diplomat to alcohol lobbyist
Frost's early postings between 1987 and 2001 with the UK's Foreign and Commonwealth Office included stints in New York (UN Mission), Brussels (EU Representation) and Nicosia, as well as desk jobs in the FCO.
Following this Frost served as Counsellor in the British Embassy Paris until 2003, after which he was appointed Head EU-Internal Department, then Director European Union for the FCO. In 2006 he became the British Ambassador to Denmark for three years, returning in October 2008 to London where he was appointed FCO Director for Policy Planning, working closely with the UK Foreign Secretary.
In October 2010 Frost became BIS's Director for Europe, Trade, and International, on loan from the FCO. There he is responsible for managing budget of £20m and 160 staff, 'driving major improvement in HMG’s trade work, working closely with major British companies and industry groups'.
Scottish Whisky Association
Interviewed by an alcohol trade magazine in September 2013, Frost said of his new appointment as SWA chief executive:
- My career to date working in economic, trade, and EU affairs in the UK and overseas has given me a wealth of experience of global commercial issues which will stand me in good stead in my new role in the Scotch Whisky industry.
- I am excited about taking up this new position at the helm of this highly-respected trade body which provides an invaluable service to the industry. I am also very much looking forward to living and working in Edinburgh. 
Frost will take over from Gavin Hewitt, who is stepping down after 10 years with the SWA. Hewitt said of his impending successor:
- David Frost’s experience of working closely on economic affairs in the UK and overseas fits him well for the role of SWA chief executive.
- St John's College, University of Oxford
- Twitter: @DavidFrostBIS
- David Frost, Esq, CMG, Debrett's
- Andy Young, SWA announces new chief executive, The Drinks Business, 16 September 2013