Clare M. Lopez
According to the International Analyst Network, Clare M. Lopez is:
- Clare M. Lopez is a strategic policy and intelligence expert with a focus on Middle East, national defense, WMD, and counterterrorism issues. Lopez began her career as an operations officer with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), serving domestically and abroad for 20 years in a variety of assignments, and acquiring extensive expertise in counterintelligence, counter-narcotics, and counter-proliferation issues with a career regional focus on the former Soviet Union, Central and Eastern Europe and the Balkans. She has served in or visited over two dozen nations worldwide, and speaks several languages, including Spanish, Bulgarian, French, German, and Russian, and currently is studying Farsi.
Now a private consultant, Lopez was Executive Director of the Iran Policy Committee, a Washington, DC think tank, from 2005-2006. She has served as a Senior Scientific Researcher at the Battelle Memorial Institute; a Senior Intelligence Analyst, Subject Matter Expert, and Program Manager at HawkEye Systems, LLC.; and previously produced Technical Threat Assessments for U.S. Embassies at the Department of State, Bureau of Diplomatic Security, where she worked as a Senior Intelligence Analyst for Chugach Systems Integration.
Lopez received a B.A. in Communications and French from Notre Dame College of Ohio and an M.A. in International Relations from the Maxwell School of Syracuse University. She completed Marine Corps Officer Candidate School (OCS) in Quantico, Virginia before declining a commission in order to join the CIA. Lopez is a member of the Advisory Board for the Intelligence Analysis and Research program and guest lecturer at her undergraduate alma mater, Notre Dame College of Ohio and also serves on the Advisory Council of the Intelligence Summit organization. She has been a Visiting Researcher and guest lecturer on counterterrorism, national defense, and international relations at Georgetown University. Lopez is a regular contributor to print and broadcast media on subjects related to Iran and the Middle East and the co-author of two published books on Iran.
- Areas of Expertise
- Middle East
- Islamist Terror
- Current: Private Consultant
- Vice-President, Intelligence Summit (www.intelligencesummit.org)
- Former Executive Director, Iran Policy Committee (www.iranpolicy.org)
- Former operations officer with the CIA
- Member Advisory Board for the Notre Dame College of Ohio Intelligence Research and Analysis Degree Program (www.ndu.edu)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Institute of World Affairs (www.iwa.org)
- Professor/Lecturer for CI Centre (www.cicentre.com)
- 'Jihad Resurgent: Islamic Challenge, Western Response, Clare Lopez Australia Tour 2014', Perth 31 August :: Melbourne 2 September :: Sydney 5 September :: Brisbane 7 September 2014, Presented by Q Society of Australia Inc in association with SkipnGirl Productions
- Vice President for Research and Analysis at the Center for Security Policy (2014)
- Senior Fellow at The Clarion Project, the London Center for Policy Research, and the Canadian Meighen Institute. (2014)
- Guest at the Defeat Jihad Summit 2015.
Contact, References and Resources
- IAN biography, International Analyst Network, (Accessed: 9 December 2007)
- ŒDefeat Jihad Summit¹ Challenges Islamic Supremacism And The Obama ŒStrategy¹and A.U.M.F. That Disregard It, Center for Security Policy, 10 February 2015, accessed 18 December 2015