- Gilad put all his prestige and the reputation of the leading Israel Defense Forces intelligence research division at Barak's disposal, to wage the "I have exposed the true face of Arafat" campaign. His concise message can be summed up as: "Barak is right. [Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser] Arafat constitutes a terrible danger. He tried to bring about a reality whereby Oslo would lead to the implementation of his strategy, to the effect that Israel has no right to exist ... If he is not properly dealt with, he will leave us a legacy that nobody will dare to change."
According to Eldar, Gilad's assessment was opposed by a number of other intelligence officers:
- Amos Malka, who was head of MI from mid-1998 to the end of 2001, and was Gilad's direct superior, is one of them, and his version is the opposite of Gilad's. He is joined in this by Major General (res.) Ami Ayalon, who headed the Shin Bet security service up until a few months before the intifada; in the approach taken by Arab affairs specialist Mati Steinberg, who until a year ago was a special advisor on Palestinian affairs to the head of the Shin Bet; and by Colonel (res.) Ephraim Lavie, the research division official responsible for the Palestinian arena at that time and Gilad's immediate subordinate.
- Executive Director of the Institute for Policy and Strategy (IPS) and Chair of the Annual Herzliya Conference Series at the Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy & Strategy, Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) Herzliya. 
- recently served as Director of Policy and Political-Military Affairs at the Israeli Ministry of Defense, as well as Chair of the Security Relations with regional and strategic partners.
- Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (2001-2003);
- Head of the Military Intelligence Research Division and Responsible for the Overall National Intelligence Assessment (1996-2001);
- IDF Spokesperson - IDF Spokesperson's Unit 1994-6
- former Acting Military Secretary of the Prime Minister and Defense Minister (1993-1994)
- participated as a senior member of the Israeli delegation to the peace talks between 1992 and 1993.
- Gideon Alon and Akiva Eldar, Opposition demands probe of Gilad's `erroneous' evaluations, Haaretz, 11 June 2004.
- Israeli Mod's Amos Gilad On Gaza-west Bank Crossings, Suleiman Visit And Iran, US Embassy Tel Aviv, 10 March 2006, published by Wikileaks, 1 September 2011.
- Akiva Eldar, Amos Gilad hunts politicians and rides them to the top, Haaretz, 4 March 2009.
- Akiva Eldar, Popular Misconceptions, Haaretz, 11 June 2004.
- Amos Gilad
- Col.Amos Gilad appointed spokesman for IDF, Jerusalem Post, 30 June 1994.