Aman Mehta is an Indian banker and industrialist who spent 35 years working with HSBC group including as Chief Executive from 1999 to 2003. Following his HSBC career he became involved in the mining, energy and metals sectors as well as business schools. He currently serves on the boards of Tata Power, ING Group, Jet Airways, Vedanta Resources and Cairn India amongst others. He is also a member of the governing board of the Indian School of Business and a member of the International Advisory Council of INSEAD, one of the world's largest business schools.
The Indian Business Standard quotes Mehta on his interest in moving into non-governmental Organisations and smaller boards as he left 35 years with HSBC;
- "I will look around...I will explore opportunities in the education field and with non-government organisations. I will also look at corporate board level positions in a non-executive capacity with non-finance companies," he said in a telecon.
According to HSBC's 2003 profile of him:
- Aman Mehta was born in India in 1946. He graduated from Delhi University with an economics degree in 1967, and joined the Bombay office of Mercantile Bank Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited. Following training in the Bank's London office, Mr Mehta returned to the Group's operations in India. Since 1969, he has held a number of assignments throughout the Bank, including appointments in Operations, Credit, Branch and Area Management and Merchant Banking. In 1985, he was appointed Manager Corporate Planning at The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation's headquarters in Hong Kong. In January 1988, he moved to Riyadh to take up the post of Managing Director of The Saudi British Bank, a 40 per cent owned associate of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation.
- In May 1991, Mr Mehta was appointed Group General Manager and, following a brief strategic planning assignment in North America, he was appointed General Manager International in February 1992 with responsibility for overseas subsidiaries. In January 1993, Mr Mehta took up the appointment of Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of HSBC USA Inc., the New York-based arm of HSBC Holdings plc set up to exercise oversight of Group companies in the Americas, before being appointed in November 1995 as Deputy Chairman of HSBC Bank Middle East, based in Dubai with responsibility for the Group's operations in the Middle East region.
- Mr Mehta was re-appointed General Manager International of The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation in February 1998, Executive Director International in May 1998 and Chief Executive Officer in January 1999. Mr Mehta also became Chairman of HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad on 1 January 1999. He is also a Director of HSBC Bank Australia Limited.
Board memberships as of July 2011
- General Manager of Medical Tata Power Co Ltd
- Non-Executive Director Max India Ltd.
- Member of Governing Board Indian School of Business
- Director Max Healthcare Institute Limited
- 2004-Present. Independent Non-Executive Director, Chairman of Audit Committee and Chairman of Nomination Committee PCCW Ltd.
- 2004-Present. Independent Non-Executive Director, Chairman of Nomination Committee and Chairman of Audit Committee PCCW-HKT Limited
- 2004-Present. Non-Executive Independent Director, Member of Audit Committee and Member of Investors Grievance Committee. Wockhardt Ltd.
- 2004-Present. Non Executive Independent Director, Member of Corporate Disclosure Committee and Member of Treasury Committee. Raffles Holdings Limited
- 2004-Present. Independent Non-Executive Director, Chairman of Audit Committee, Chairman of Remuneration Committee and Member of Committee of Directors for Bank Accounts. Tata Consultancy Services Limited
- 2004-Present. Non Executive Director, Chairman of Audit Committee and Member of Remuneration Committee Vedanta Resources plc
- 2004-Present. Non-Executive Independent Director, Chairman of Audit Committee and Chairman of Remuneration & Compensation Committee Jet Airways (India) Ltd.
- 2006-Present. Non-Executive Independent Director, Member of Audit Committee, Member of Nomination Committee and Member of Human Resources & Compensation Committee. Godrej Consumer Products Ltd.
- 2007-Present. Non-Executive & Independent Director, Chairman of Audit Committee and Member of Remuneration Committee. Cairn India Ltd
- 2007-Present. Independent & Non-Executive Director, Chairman of Compensation Committee and Member of Audit Committee. Emaar MGF Land Limited 
- 2008-present Member of the Supervisory board ING Group, from which he achieved a €114,000.00 remuneration in 2010 
- Forbes Profile of Aman Mehta Accessed 17/8/11
- Business Standard Banking Bureau in Mumbai. August 07, 2003HSBC chief Aman Mehta game for board slots Accessed 17/8/11
- HSBC [www.hsbc.com/1/PA_1_1_S5/content/assets/news/amehta.pdf Aman Mehta. Chief Executive Officer. The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited] Accessed 17/8/11
- Bloomberg Business Week profile of Aman Mehta Accessed 17/8/11
- Forbes Profile of Aman Mehta Accessed 17/8/11