It is described thus:
- In July 2011, the Institute of Ideas will launch a new initiative: The Academy. The Academy is a three-day residential event for Institute of Ideas members aiming to remind us just what universities should be like and to demonstrate the importance of scholarship through an examination of subjects in depth.
Delegate (sic) prices ranged from £285 to £625.
The provisional schedule was as follows:
Day One (Saturday 23 July, 11am start)
- Plenary Humanism – problems and opportunities
- Classics Greek philosophy and thought
- History What is history?
- Plenary The emergence of consciousness in the ancient and medieval world
Day Two (Sunday 24 July)
- Classics Greek politics
- History The English Revolution
- Classics The Roman tradition
- History The Age of Empire
- Plenary The establishment of historical consciousness in the 17th century
Day Three (Monday 25 July
- Classics The rise and fall of Rome
- History The origins of welfare thinking
- Classics The Renaissance: old wine; new bottles
- History Fascism and anti-modernity
- Plenary Enlightenment and Anti-Enlightenment thought
Details The Academy 2011 Institute of Ideas website, acc 17 Feb 2011
- The Academy Institute of Ideas website acc 17 Feb 2011