Summit Against Violent Extremism
Revision as of 01:43, 16 July 2011 by Tom Griffin
- 9:30 Opening Video
- 9:45 Idea 1: Finding Common Ground Between Different Extremes (Gill Hicks, MAD for Peace; Susan Cruz, Sin Fronteras; T.J. Leyden, Hate2Hope; Maajid Nawaz, Quilliam Foundation; Noor Huda Ismail, Sekurindo Global Consulting)
- 10:35 Fireside Chat: Why are we doing this? (Carie Lemack, Global Survivors Network and Eric Schmidt, Executive Chairman, Google)
- 11:40 Attendees break out into team sessions
- 1:55 Personal Story: Joining Young in Brazil (Alan Lima, anti-gang activist)
- 2:00 Idea 2: Patterns of Radicalization: Common Origins but Different Extremes (Farah Pandith, U.S. State Department; Sammy Rangel, Safe Streets Outreach Program; Angela King, consultant; Imam Nurayn Ashafa)
- 2:50 Personal Story: Renouncing Violence in Iran (Amir Farshad Ebrahimi, journalist)
- 2:55 Idea 3: Crossing the Threshold: Justifying and Renouncing Violence (Amanda Lindhout, Global Enrichment Foundation; Moe Muhamad, Generation Islam; Henry Robinson, Families Against Intimidation and Terror; Usama Hasan, Imam and Senior Lecturer, Middlesex University; James Muvel Wuye, Interfah Mediation Centre)
- 4:15 Personal Story: Radicalization and Reconciliation in South Africa (Ntobeko Peni, Amy Biehl Foundation)
- 4:20 Idea 4: Fostering De-Radicalization: Countering Risks and Increasing Rewards (Chris Isham, CBS; Paul Carrillo, Southern California Crossroads; Yasmin Mulbocus, MAWAH; Tad Stringham, public speaker)
- 5:10 Personal Story: Magical Salvation (Devonte Roque, Magicians Without Borders, El Salvador)
- 9:00 Welcome back (Jared Cohen, Google Ideas)
- 9:10 Colombia: Leveraging Formers and Turning the Tide Against Violent Extremism (His Excellency Alvaro Uribe Valez, Former President of Colombia; Vera Grabe, Center for Peace; Ricardo Ramirez, former FARC member; Benildo Tijeras Maldonado; Mark Henderson, documentarian)
- 10:00 Mother to Mother: A conversation with Aicha al-Wafa (Aicha el-Wafa, mother of Zacarias Moussaoui; Anne-Marie Slaughter, Princeton; Norman Benotman, Quilliam Foundation; Arno Michaels, Life After Hate; Ben Owens, Detours Monitoring Group)
- 11:40 Idea 6: Deformed Social Network (Shona Brown, Google; Mubin Shaikh, PhD student; Ruth Rach, teacher; Tim Zaal, Simon Wiesenthal Center; Mario Van Niekerk, GCU Academy)
- 1:30 Team Session 2
- 2:50 Team Session 3
- 3:50 Idea 7: Changing Directions: Countering Violent Extremism with Positive Activism (Jared Cohen, Google Ideas; Frank Meeink, Harmony Through Hockey; Abu Muntasir, JIMA; Imam Sani Isa, Interfaith Mediation Centre; Tahir Wadood Malik, Pakistan Terrorism Survivors Network; Rudy Corpuz, United Playaz)
- 4:45 Closing (James M. Lindsay, Council on Foreign Relations; Jared Cohen, Google Ideas; Ed Husain, Council on Foreign Relations).
- Jared Cohen, Google Ideas launches Summit Against Violent Extremism, Google Public Policy Blog, 27 June 2011.
- Jonathan Githens-Mazer, Google's big idea against extremism needs to learn the important maxim of political violence: "no justice, no peace"?, openDemocracy, 13 July 2011.
- ↑ Allen McDuffee, Google Ideas think tank gathering former extremists to battle radicalization, PostPolitics, washingtonpost.com, 24 June 2011.
- ↑ Allen McDuffeee, Day 1 schedule of Google Ideas conference on de-radicalization, Thinktanked, wahingtonpost.com, 27 June 2011.
- ↑ Allen McDuffee, Day 2 schedule of Google Ideas conference on de-radicalization, ThinkTanked, washingtonpost.com, 27 July 2011.