Stephen Dorrell was the Conservative Party member of parliament (MP) for Loughborough (1979-1997) and Charnwood (1997-2015) and former Secretary of State for Health. He was chair of the Health Select Committee from 2010 until June 2014.
His views are seen as an important guide to Tory thinking on the NHS, reflecting a strong belief in the power of markets, choice and competition to produce benefits for patients.
Revolving door and conflict of interest controversy
In November 2014, just months after resigning from the powerful Health Select Committee, Dorrell announced he would quit parliament at the 2015 election due to his taking up a new job as a health consultant at Big Four firm KPMG. He is working three days a week for them from December 2014 but intends to remain an MP until the election.
The announcement prompted calls for his resignation as an MP but despite acknowledging the incompatability of combining public service with working for KPMG, who are planning on bidding for a £1 billion NHS contract,   Dorrell has not stepped down.
Between March 2013 and February 2014 Dorrell was among the highest earning Tory MPs for outside earnings, with £134,000.
- Faithful Group Ltd., 1-3 College Yard, Worcester. Provider of management services.
- Artemis Apparel Ltd, 5 Deansway, Worcester WR1 2JG; provider of management consultancy services. (Registered 5 July 2013; updated 2 January 2015)
- CapitB Ltd, Access House, Halesfield 17, Telford, Shropshire. Provider of training services to the road transport industry. Payment made to Faithful Group Ltd. (Registered 27 November 2013)
- Dorson Transform Ltd, 5 Deansway, Worcester WR1 2JG; provider of management consultancy services. (Registered 2 January 2015)
- Provides management consultancy services to the following clients:
- Until 31 October 2014, Celerant Consulting Ltd. (management consultants). Address: Avalon House, 72 Lower Mortlake Road, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 2JY. (Registered 1 August 2012; updated 2 January 2015)
- Kandahar Asset Management Company Ltd, Nuffield House, 41-46 Piccadilly, London W1J 0DS. (Registered 5 July 2013)
- CapitB Ltd:
- KPMG LLP, 15 Canada Square, London E14 5GL. Senior advisor to KPMG’s Global Healthcare and Public Sector practice.
- 2020 Public Services Trust: Dorrell is a commissioner at the think tank.
- Obesity All-Party Parliamentary Group
- Tamasin Cave, The privatising cabal at the heart of our NHS Spinwatch, 1 April 2015.
- Randeep Ramesh, Public sector cuts: Stephen Dorrell warns against ringfencing NHS budget, Guardian, 6 July 2010
- BBC News Charnwood, accessed 14 May 2015.
- David Singleton Dorrell takes KMPG advisory post Public Affairs News, 25 November 2014, accessed 26 November 2014
- Stephen Dorrell MP faces calls to resign over conflict of interest Telegraph, 1 December 2014, accessed 9 December 2014
- Health Service Journal Top 100, accessed 10 April 2015.
- Vincent Moss Tory MPs earn a combined £4MILLION from their lucrative jobs on the side Mirror, 30 March 2014, accessed 23 February 2015
- They Work For You, Stephen Dorrell, accessed 23 February 2015
- 2020 PST website, Commissioners, accessed Nov 2010