Revision as of 04:22, 26 August 2017 by Melissa Jones
Ian Graham King was the CEO of BAE Systems between 2008 and June 2017.
- "I’m a pragmatist by nature. My advice to everyone is keep it simple and be true to yourself."
From the BAE website circa 2017:
- Ian was appointed chief executive of BAE Systems in September 2008, having originally been appointed to the Board of Directors as Chief Operating Officer, UK and Rest of the World at the beginning of 2007. In February 2017, Ian confirmed he will retire from the Company on 30 June 2017 after a distinguished career of more than 40 years in the defence industry. Charles Woodburn, currently Chief Operating Officer, will be appointed as Chief Executive from 1 July 2017.
- In 1976 Ian started his career as a graduate at Marconi and spent the next 10 years in manufacturing in Scotland and Portsmouth.
- Ian became Finance Director of Marconi Defence Systems from 1986-92 and of Marconi Electronic Systems 1992-1998. During this time he was appointed a non-executive director of the Canadian Marconi company and director of Marconi's two Anglo/French joint ventures in space and sonar.
- On completion of the British Aerospace/Marconi merger in November 1999, Ian was appointed Group Strategy and Planning Director reporting to the Chief Executive and responsible for the initial Strategic Business Plan for BAE Systems.
- Ian was appointed to the post of Group Managing Director for Customer Solutions & Support (CS&S) at the start of 2001 responsible for growing a support and services business in the UK and international markets. In addition to leading the CS&S business, Ian was responsible for the integration of the Alvis business into a new Land Systems business following its acquisition in September 2004.
- External positions: Ian is non-executive director of Schroder plc. For nine years Ian was a non-executive director of Rotork plc. Latterly he was the senior independent director and retired from the Board in June 2014.
- Career highlights: Ian was the first Chief Executive of Alenia Marconi Systems, the joint venture between Marconi and Finmeccanica of Italy formed in December 1998.