HN25 is the cipher given to a former Special Demonstration Squad undercover who was deployed in the late 1980s / early 1990s against a group which no longer exists. Their cover name is due to be released by the Undercover Policing Inquiry, when it was revealed he used the name Kevin Douglas to infiltrate the Troops Out Movement from 1987 to 1991. The Chair of the Undercover Policing Inquiry, Sir John Mitting, has ruled that his real name will be restricted in that Inquiry.
For the N cipher system see N officers page.
In the Undercover Policing Inquiry
- 7 March 2018: the Inquiry Chair, John Mitting, wrote he was minded to restrict real name of HN25 but would refuse application over the cover name, saying there was no real risk to HN25 from the target group, and there existed a strong sterile corridor between real and cover names. Investigation of the group was necessary to fulfil the Inquiry's terms of reference. Mitting also noted that there was also a particular reason exists as to why there might be impact on HN25's private and family life, which justified the restriction on publishing HN25's real name.
- 11 Jan 2018: Inquiry directed that any restriction orders applications for HN25 were to be submitted by end of Jan 2018.
- 13 September 2018: An open application will be published to allow responses to the Chair 'minded to' decision to restrict real name.
- 2 October 2018: the open application applied for by the Metropolitan police to restrict HN25's real name was released, with a deadline for responses give as 23 October.
- 8 November 2018: Mitting ruled that the officer's real name will be restricted for the purposes of the Inquiry in line with the reasons set out in the 'Minded To' note of 7 March 2018.
- Sir John Mitting, In the matter of section 19(3) of the Inquiries Act 2005. Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and Special Demonstration Squad - 'Minded To' Note 5, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 7 March 2018.
- Email to core participants, '20180717_UCPI_to_all_CPs_publishing_HN25_HN200_direction_HN104', Undercover Policing Inquiry, 14 July2018, referencing update of the webpage UCPI.org.u/cover-names.
- Sir John Mitting, Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Demonstration Squad and Special Duties Squad Ruling 13, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 8 November 2018.
- Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstrations Squad: Directions, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 11 January 2018.
- Kate Wilkinson, Counsel to the Inquiry's Explanatory Note to accompany the Chairman's 'Minded-To' Note 12 in respect of applications for restrictions over the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad, Undercover Public Inquiry, 13 September 2018.
- Department of Legal Services, Open application for a restriction order (anonymity) re: HN25, Metropolitan Police Service, 25 January 2018 (accessed via UCPI.org.uk).
- Sir John Mitting, Restriction Order Applications by HN4, HN13, HN25, HN30, HN33, HN82, HN96. HN200 and HN304, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 2 October 2018.