Graham Coates (alias)
Graham Coates' is the cover name of a former Special Demonstration Squad undercover officer who infiltrated the infiltrated International Socialists/Socialist Workers Party, Zero Collective, Anarchy Collective and the Libertarian Anarchist Group from 1977 to 1979.
The Chair of the Undercover Policing Inquiry, Sir John Mitting, has ruled that the officer's name will be restricted for the purposes of the Inquiry, where they are also referred to by the cipher HN304 (for the N cipher system see N officers).
As an SDS undercover
Said to have infiltrated 'a number of non-violent groups' 1976 to 1979. No known allegation of misconduct and the deployment 'appears to have been unremarkable'.
In the Undercover Policing Inquiry
- 22 November 2018: directed that any anonymity applications to be submitted by 30 November for MPS Legal Team and by 4 December 2017 for the MPS Designated Lawyer Team.
- 15 Jan 2018: Inquiry Chair, John Mitting, 'minded-to' grant restriction order over real name; no application in relation to cover name which will be published in due course.
- 3 July 2018: cover name and targeted groups named by the Inquiry.
- 13 September 2018: an open application will be published and date set to respond.
- 2 October 2018: the  applied for by the Metropolitan police to restrict HN304's real name was released, with a deadline for responses of 23 October.
- 8 November 2018: Mitting ruled that the officer's real name will be restricted for the purposes of the Inquiry, for the reasons set out in his 'Minded To' of 15 January 2018.
- Email to core participants, '20180703_UCPI_to_all_CPs_publishing_HN33_HN96_HN304', Undercover Policing Inquiry, 3 July 2018, referencing update of the webpage UCPI.org.uk/cover-names.
- Sir John Mitting, Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Demonstration Squad and Special Duties Squad Ruling 13, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 8 November 2018.
- Sir John Mitting, Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad: 'Minded to' note 3, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 15 January 2018.
- Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstrations Squad - Directions, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 22 November 2017 (accessed 26 November 2017).
- Press notice - ‘Minded-to’ anonymity: Special Demonstration Squad Officers (HN13, HN296, HN304, HN339, HN340, HN354, HN356/124, HN61, HN819, HN109, HN9, HN66), Undercover Policing Inquiry, 15 January 2018 (accessed 15 January 2018).
- Kate Wilkinson, Counsel to the Inquiry's Explanatory Note to accompany the Chairman's 'Minded-To' Note 12 in respect of applications for restrictions over the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad, Undercover Public Inquiry, 13 September 2018.
- Department of Legal Services, Open application for a restriction order (anonymity) re: HN304, Metropolitan Police Service, 30 November 2017 (accessed via UCPI.org.uk).
- Sir John Mitting, Restriction Order Applications by HN4, HN13, HN25, HN30, HN33, HN82, HN96. HN200 and HN304, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 2 October 2018.