Revision as of 12:23, 16 October 2008 by Paul (fmt bottom section)
Fernando Reinares is a terrorologist.
- Professor and Chair in Political Science and Security Studies at Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (King Juan Carlos University) in Madrid. He also teaches postgraduate courses at General Gutiérrez Mellado University Institute and Ortega y Gasset University Institute.
- Member of the Council on Global Terrorism established by the Atlantic Monthly Foundation and of the academic committee of the Queen Sofía Center for the Study of Violence. Advisor to the Center for Global Counter Terrorism Co-operation, he belongs to the United Nations roster of experts on terrorism prevention and the terrorism studies programme board at the University of St Andrews. Is Academic Director of the Permanent Seminar on Terrorism Studies at Ortega y Gasset Foundation. Between 2004 and 2006 he served as Senior Adviser on Antiterrorist Policy to the Minister of Interior, Government of Spain. Chairman of the European Commission expert group on violent radicalization.
- Contributing Editor of Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, also belongs to the editorial boards of Terrorism and Political Violence, Democracy and Security, Cultures et Conflits and Sécurité Globale.
- Author of a large number of articles and chapters on terrorism and counterterrorism, which appeared in six languages, his recent books include Terrorismo y Antiterrorismo [Terrorism and Antiterrorism] (Barcelona: Ediciones Paidós, 1998); European Democracies Against Terrorism. Governmental Policies and Intergovernmental Cooperation (Aldershot, Hampshire: Ashgate, 2000); the Spanish best-seller Patriotas de la Muerte. Quiénes han militado en ETA y por qué [Patriots of Death. Who Joined ETA and Why] (Madrid: Taurus, 2001); Terrorismo Global [Global Terrorism] (Madrid: Taurus, 2003); El Nuevo Terrorismo Islamista. Del 11-S al 11-M [The New Islamist Terrorism. From 9/11 to 3/11] (Madrid: Temas de Hoy, 2004); and Terrorismus Global (Aktionsfeld Europa, Hamburg: Europäische Verlagsanstalt, 2005). Also co-author de State of the Struggle. Report on the Battle against Global Terrorism (Maryland: Brookings Institution Press, 2006).
- European Commission Expert Group on Violent Radicalisation, Chairman
- Real Instituto Elcano
- Council on Global Terrorism
- International Security Forum, speaker
- Studies in Conflict and Terrorism contributing editor
- Terrorismus Global. Aktionsfeld Europa (Global Terrorism: Europe as a Field of Action). (Hamburg: Europäische Verlagsanstalt, 2005).
- El Nuevo Terrorismo Islamista. Del 11-S al 11-M (The New Islamist Terrorism. From 9/11 to 3/11). (Madrid: Temas de Hoy, 2004).
- Terrorismo Global (Global Terrorism). (Madrid: Taurus, 2003).
- Patriotas de la Muerte: Quiénes han militado en ETA y por qué (Patriots of Death: Who Joined ETA and Why). (Madrid: Taurus, 2001).
- European Democracies Against Terrorism. Governmental Policies and Intergovernmental Cooperation (Aldershot, Hampshire: Ashgate, 2000).
- Terrorismo y Antiterrorismo (Terrorism and Antiterrorism). (Barcelona: Ediciones Paidós, 1998).
- "To What Extent Does Al-Qaeda Still Pose a Threat to European Societies?" (Madrid, Spain: Elcano Royal Institute for International and Strategic Studies, ARI no. 9, January 2007).
- "Maghreb Immigrants Becoming Suicide Terrorists. A Case Study on Religious Radicalization Processes in Spain," in Ami Pedahzur (ed.), Root Causes of Suicide Terrorism. The Globalization of Martyrdom, (London and New York: Routledge, 2006), pp. 179-198 (coauthored with Rogelio Alonso).
- "Do Government and Citizens Agree on How to Combat International Terrorism?" (Madrid, Spain: Elcano Royal Institute for International and Strategic Studies, ARI no. 78, July 2006).
- "Towards a Social Characterization of Jihadist Terrorism in Spain: Implications for Domestic Security and Action Abroad," (Madrid, Spain: Elcano Royal Institute for International and Strategic Studies, ARI no. 34, April 2006).
- "The Mediterranean Region and International Terrorism: A New Framework for Cooperation?" (Madrid, Spain: Elcano Royal Institute for International and Strategic Studies, ARI no. 149, January 2006).
- "Nationalist Separatism and Terrorism in Comparative Perspective," in Töre Bjorgo (ed.), Root Causes of Terrorism, (London: Routledge, 2005), pp. 119-130.
- "Is International Terrorism What We Thought It Was? An Empirical Study of the Global Neosalafist Jihad in 2004," (Madrid, Spain: Elcano Royal Institute for International and Strategic Studies, WP no. 33, November 2005).
- "Conceptualizing International Terrorism," (Madrid, Spain: Elcano Royal Institute for International and Strategic Studies, ARI no. 82, September 2005).
- "Terrorism, Human Rights and Law Enforcement in Spain," Terrorism and Political Violence, vol. 17, no. 1-2 (Spring-Summer 2005), pp. 265-278 (coauthored with Rogelio Alonso).
- "Who Are the Terrorists? Analyzing Changes in Sociological Profile among Members of ETA," Studies in Conflict and Terrorism, vol. 27, no. 6 (November/December 2004), pp. 465-488.
- "Terrorism," in Wilhelm Heitmeyer and John Hagan (eds.), International Handbook of Violence Research, (La Haya: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2003), pp. 309-321.
- "Democratization and State Responses to Protracted Terrorism in Spain," in Marianne van Leeuwen (ed.), Confronting Terrorism. European Experiences, Threat Perceptions and Policies, (The Hague: Kluwer Law International, 2003), pp. 57-71.
- "The Empire Rarely Strikes Back," Foreign Policy, no. 128 (January/February 2002), pp. 92-94.
- "Democratic Regimes, Internal Security Policy and the Threat of Terrorism," Australian Journal of Politics and History, vol. 44, no. 3 (September 1998), p. 351.
- "The Political Conditioning of Collective Violence: Regime Change and Insurgent Terrorism in Spain," in Research on Democracy and Society. Vol. 3 (Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1996), pp. 297-326.
- "Terrorist Networks in Europe Strengthening," NPR "Morning Edition" Broadcast, March 11, 2005.
- "Al Qaeda's European Front: 3/11 and Its Implications," Dwight D. Eisenhower National Security Series Terrorism Workshop, RAND Corporation and the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, September 27, 2004.
Contact, References and Resources
- Real Instituto Elcano Home>Who we are> Analysts, accessed 8 May 2008