Energy and Climate Change Select Committee
The Energy and Climate Change Select Committee was established by the House of Commons (HoC) in 2008 to scrutinise the expenditure, administration and policy of the Department of Energy and Climate Change and its associated public bodies.
On 10 October 2016, the HoC approved changes to Standing Orders to establish a Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee with a remit covering the energy and climate change brief.
- Member Party
- Alistair Carmichael MP Liberal Democrat
- Glyn Davies MP Conservative
- James Heappey MP Conservative
- Ian Lavery MP Labour
- Melanie Onn MP Labour
- Matthew Pennycook MP Labour
- Dr Poulter MP Conservative
- Antoinette Sandbach MP Conservative
- Julian Sturdy MP Conservative
- Alan Whitehead MP Labour
- Rushanara AliMP Labour
- Tom Blenkinsop Labour
Tim Yeo was elected by the House as Chair of the Energy and Climate Change Committee on 9 June 2010. Three years later, on 10 June 2013, he 'temporarily' quit the chairmanship pending a Parliamentary standards investigation into media allegations that he had breached lobbying rules by helping a firm he worked for prepare to appear before his committee.
The following members were appointed Wednesday 3 November 2010:
- Member Party
- Tim Yeo (Chair) Conservative
- Dan Byles Conservative
- Barry Gardiner Labour
- Ian Lavery Labour
- Dr Phillip Lee Conservative
- Albert Owen Labour
- Christopher Pincher Conservative
- John Robertson Labour
- Laura Sandys Conservative
- Sir Robert Smith Liberal Democrat
- Dr Alan Whitehead Labour
Potential conflicts of interest
No sooner had Yeo been replaced by Lib Dem Sir Robert Smith, it emerged that Smith has shares in Shell and in 2012 had received hospitality from oil company BP. Although declared fully in the official register of members interests, alongside his shareholdings in pharmaceuticals firm Glaxsmithkline, life assurance company Legal and General and mining company Rio Tinto, it raises yet more questions about the role of MPs on powerful select committees who have interests in companies and industries potentially affected by their work, reported the Daily Mail.
- Website: https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/energy-and-climate-change-committee/ (old homepage, now archived).
- House of Commons Select Committees,Energy and Climate Change Committee, accessed 10 November 2010.
- Matt Chorley, Energy committee replaces chairman caught up in lobbying scandal with Lib Dem with shares in Shell and a donation from BP, Mail Online, 11 June 2013