He was then appointed deputy director and head of research at Policy Exchange, between 2011 and 2013.
In 2013 he founded Renewal, a campaign group aimed at broadening the appeal of the Conservative Party, and was appointed director of the group. He also worked as a senior adviser at Fishburn Hedges. until 2015.
In April 2015 he was appointed head of Weber Shandwick's UK public affairs practice, filling the role vacated by Alex Deane in late 2014 when Deane moved to FTI Consulting. Just six month later, he left this position to be appoitned as public policy manager by Google 
- Melissa Jones and Andy Rowell, Access all areas: Westminster's (vast) fracking lobby exposed, 29 April 2015.
- Jonathan Walker, Increase minimum wage to win in North, Tory candidate tells Osborne The Journal, 17 January 2014, accessed 10 October 2014
- Fishburn Hedges hires Policy Exchange's David Skelton PR Week, 19 September 2013, accessed 10 October 2014
- David Singleton Weber signs Skelton for top PA post Public Affairs News, 22 April 2015, accessed 30 April 2015.
- David Singleton, Google nabs Skelton from Weber, PublicAffairs, 17 November 2015, accesed 2 December 2016.