After the 2015 general election, Alexander turned down an offer of a peerage from Nick Clegg in the dissolution honours list. Former Lib Dem MPs David Laws, Simon Hughes and Vince Cable are also understood to have turned down the offer.
In February 2016, Mr Alexander sought ACOBA's advice on a new position as Vice President and Corporate Secretary of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. The usual lobbying ban was waived in this instance, given that the UK is one of the founding members of the bank, and Mr Alexander took up the role later that month. 
Alexander first worked as a press officer for the Scottish Liberal Democrats before spending four years at the European Movement and then four years as director of communications for the Britain in Europe campaign 
In 2005 he was elected MP for the newly created seat of Inverness, Nairn, and Badenoch & Strathspey. He joined the shadow work and pensions team in 2005 and in July 2007 he was appointed shadow secretary of state for work and pensions, holding the post until June 2008.  Alexander chose instead to concentrate on the roles of chief of staff to the party leader, Nick Clegg, and chair of the Lib Dems manifesto group.
Views on fracking
Alexander has said he believes shale gas "will be a bigger boom than North Sea oil" 
Special advisers and aides
- Will de Peyer, 2010-2015. Former adviser to Vince Cable, Lord Oakeshott and Lord Newby, Lib Dem treasurer and banker. Since Alexander lost his place in government de Peyer has set up lobbying firm Tendo Consulting Limited with former ex-Alexander spad Peter Carroll.
- Peter Carroll, 2013-2015. Former Lib Dem candidate and founder of Peter Carroll Associates. Since Alexander lost his place in government Carroll has set up lobbying firm Tendo Consulting Limited with de Peyer.
- John Foster, 2013-2015. Former special adviser to Nick Clegg and researcher to Paul Burstow, Tim Farron and Willie Rennie.
- Julia Goldsworthy, 2010-2014. MP from 2005 to 2010 and currently a lobbyist at Hanover Communications and advisor at PricewaterhouseCoopers.
- Alexander's former special adviser Julia Goldsworthy joined lobbying firm Hanover Communications as a senior adviser in May 2014 after four years of working with him.
See: Fracking Spads
- Treasury Minister David Laws resigns over expenses, BBC News, 29 May 2010.
- Chief Secretary to the Treasury GOV.UK, accessed 9 October 2014
- BBC News Election results: Lib Dem Danny Alexander loses to SNP, 8 May 2015, accessed 11 May 2015.
- Patrick Wintour Vince Cable among four Lib Dems to turn down Lords offers from Clegg Guardian, 15 May 2015, accessed 18 May 2015.
- Danny Alexander business appointments ACOBA, Gov.uk, accessed 16 February 2016
- , Shale gas 'will be bigger than boom in North Sea oil' Danny Alexander backs huge expansion in 'fracking' to cut bills, 27 June 2013
- Linkedin Will de Peyer, accessed 17 July 2015.
- Linkedin Peter Carroll, accessed 17 July 2015.
- Linkedin John Foster, accessed 17 July 2015.
- Linkedin Julia Goldsworthy, accessed 17 July 2015.