Sir William Purves CBE DSO GBM (Born December 27, 1931).
Purves was Chairman of Hakluyt from 2000-2008,
According to the 1999 the Annual report of Shell at that moment Purves was:
- A Director of Shell Transport and Trading Company since 1993.
- Retired from the Chairmanship of HSBC Holdings plc in May 1998 after 44 years service in that Group.
- Chairman of Hakluyt & Company Ltd,
- Deputy Chairman of Alstom s.a.,
- Trustee of Reuters Founders Share Company Ltd,
- Director of Interpacific Holdings Ltd,
- Director of Scottish Medicine plc,
- Director of Trident Safeguards Ltd and
- Director of World Shipping and Investment Co Ltd.
- Member of Hong Kong Chief Executive's International Advisory Council
- Member of Textron Inc International Advisory Council.
- University of Sheffield - Honourable Doctor of Laws
- University of Stirling - Honourable Doctor of the University
- University of Strathclyde - Honourable Doctor of Business Administration
- University of Hong Kong - Honourable Doctor of Laws
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Honourable Doctor of Business Administration 
Sir William was knighted in the 1993 New Years Honours List, having been made a CBE in 1988. 
- William Purves Profile Bloomberg, undated, accessed 23 September 2014
- William Purves appointed to TNK international board PR News Wire, accessed 23 September 2014