He was appointed as parliamentary under-secretary of state at the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office in July 2014. Ellwood was also chosen to be the parliamentary adviser to the Prime Minister for the 2014 NATO Summit. 
Ellwood was educated overseas in Bonn and Vienna when his parents were overseas as members of the United Nations. He then attended Loughborough University. He completed the senior executive course in National and International Studies at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University. 
Ellwood was in the Royal Green Jackets from 1991 to 1996, and served in Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Kuwait, Germany, Gibraltar and Bosnia. He left the army at the rank of captain and is a current army reservist. Ellwood was a senior business development manager with the London Stock Exchange for two years, he then worked at Allen and Overy in a senior role. 
- Lisa Erlandsen
- Mariam Kazem-Malaki - Caseworker, Bournemouth East Conservative Association
- Jessica Terry 
- Conservative Middle East Council - vice-chairman since June 2010
- Mr Tobias Ellwood, www.parliament.uk, accessed 29 October 2013.
- Bournemouth East Parliamentary constituency BBC News, accessed 21 May 2015
- Ministerial appointments: July 2014, Prime Minister's Office, 15 July 2014.
- Tobias Ellwood GOV.UK, accessed 10 October 2014
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 20 April 2016