Teaching About Terrorism: University of Coventry
Teaching About Terrorism is a 2009/10 research project funded by C-SAP, one of the Higher Education Academy's subject networks. The project aims to research the extent and nature of teaching about terrorism in UK Universities, primarily in the disciplines of Sociology, Politics and Criminology.
Freedom of Information Request 1
According to the response of this University to the initial four part teaching terrorism FOI request, the answer to all four questions was 'no' . The four questions being:
- Does your institution provide any information or advice to students or staff on any potential liability under Terrorism legislation which might result from accessing materials for teaching or research?
- The University does not offer formal guidance to staff or students for accessing teaching materials which may potentially result in liability such potential liability. The very small minority of courses which do look at issues relating to terrorism or terrorism legislation do not directly relate to materials which should result in potential liability.
- Does your institution have any kind of procedure to review or assess reading lists, module descriptors or other teaching materials which explicitly or in practice considers questions of safety and risk under terrorism legislation as part of its remit?
- The University does not have procedures in place to review course content, reading lists or module descriptors to specifically consider terrorism legislation. The University does have procedures in place to consider the risk of exposure to acts of terrorism, particularly in relation to overseas travel, but these procedures relate to being exposed to the risk of terrorism rather than the potential liability under terrorism legislation.
- Does your institution have any system, policy or procedure in place for dealing with any potential actions taken by the authorities against the institution, its students or staff under Terrorism legislation?
- The University does not have policies in place to deal with actions taken by authorities against the University, its staff or students under terrorism legislation.
- Does your institution have any system, policy or procedure in place for ‘preventing violent extremism’ as recommended for example in the government guidance document ‘Promoting Good Campus Relations’
- The University does not have policies in place such as dealing with violent extremism, however University staff have attended seminars relating to terrorism and extremism.
Freedom of Information Request 2
- Freedom of Information Results, Teaching About Terrorism: FOI Results
- University of Coventry, Teaching About Terrorism Response to FOI 1, Scribd