Garrard starting her career at the Department for Energy as executive officer in 1979, she was then appointed account manager and then account director of marketing and communications company Young and Rubicam in 1986, before being appointed account director and later board account director of advertising agency Abbott Mead Vickers in 1991.
- Global Head of Communications, Unilever, January 2011. Approved by ACOBA "subject to the condition that, for 12 months from her last day of service, she should not become personally involved in lobbying UK Ministers or Crown servants, including Special Advisers, on behalf of her new employer".
- Sue Garrard Telegraph, 7 October 2008, accessed 9 December 2014
- Sue Garrard Linkedin, accessed 9 December 2014
- Twelfth Report 2010-2011 Advisory Committee on Business Appointments, accessed 9 December 2014
- Unilever appoints Department for Work & Pensions' Sue Garrard for global role PR Week, 7 October 2010, accessed 9 December 2014