Mercenary arrested in Zimbabwe on 7 March 2004 during the collapse of the Wonga Coup plot.
- According to Mr Mohadi, Simon Witherspoon - referred to as a "known South African mercenary" - was the leader of the group.
- He is reported to be a former member of the South African Defence Force, who joined the now defunct mercenary company Executive Outcomes (EO) in 1989.
- Witherspoon, yet another veteran of South African special forces (Five Reconnaissance Regiment), calls himself a professional hunter and 'security consultant' for foreign governments. He says he was invited by a 'James' (presumably Kershaw) to join the operation at the last minute.
- ↑ The men behind the 'Guinean plot', BBC News, 12 March 2004.
- ↑ The Wonga Coup, by Adam Roberts, Profile Books, 2006, pp144-145.