Sean Lynch (alias)
Sean Lynch is the cover name used by a former Special Demonstration Squad] undercover officer who infiltrated the Vietnam Solidarity Campaign, Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association, Irish Civil Rights Solidarity Campaign and Sinn Féin (London)y 1968 - 1974. Deceased. He held a managerial position in the SDS 1982 - 1984.
As an SDS officer
In the Undercover Policing Inquiry
- As in the case of the living officers cited it is unlikely that the publication of his real name would prompt the giving or production of evidence necessary to permit the Inquiry to fulfil its terms of reference. Evidence about the discharge of his managerial duties can be given by reference to his cypher. The identity of HN68 is known to those who can give such evidence. Publication of his real name would be likely to interfere with the right of his widow to respect for her private life under Article 8... The possibility that disclosure of his cover name might interfere with her right is nil or negligible. Closed reasons accompany this note.
The restriction order application regarding HN68's real name was heard at the 21 Nov 2017 hearing, and the restriction order issued on 8 December 2017. In granting the order, Mitting followed the reasons set out in his minded-to note of 3 Aug 2017.
As he deceased, HN68 is not a core participant.
- Email to core participants, '20180607_UCPI_to_all_CPs_HN67_HN68_HAB_CP19', Undercover Policing Inquiry, 7 June 2018, referencing an update of the webpage UCPI.org.uk/cover-names.
- Kate Wilkinson, Counsel to the Inquiry's Explanatory Note to accompany the Chairman's 'Minded-To' Note 12 in respect of applications for restrictions over the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad, Undercover Public Inquiry, 13 September 2018.
- Sir John Mitting, Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad: Ruling, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 5 December 2017.
- John Mitting, In the matter of section 19(3) of the Inquiries Act 2005 Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstrations Squad ‘Minded to’ note, Undercover Policing Inquiry (UCPI.org.uk), 3 August 2017.
- Transcript of hearing of 21 Nov 2017, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 21 November 2017.