Science and Technology Facilities Council
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is a UK government body that carries out civil research in science and engineering, and funds UK research in areas including physics, nuclear physics, and astronomy including space science. It was formed in April 2007 as a straight merger of the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils (CCLRC) and Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council (PPARC).
- Chairman - Sir Michael Sterling
- CEO - Professor John Womersley
- Chief executive - Professor John Womersley
- Executive Director, Programmes - Professor Grahame Blair
- Executive Director, National Laboratories - Dr Andrew Taylor
- Executive Director, Corporate Services - Gordon Stewart
- Acting Executive Director, Finance - Philippa Foster
- Executive Director, Business and Innovation - Dr Tim Bestwick
- Executive Director, Strategy, Performance and Communications - Dr Sharon Cosgrove
- Harwell Oxford (HO)
- Sci-Tech Daresbury
- Diamond Light Source Ltd (DLSL) (86% of joint venture's interest held by STFC, 14% by Wellcome Trust Limited)
- European Southern Observatory (ESO)
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF)
- Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL) (STFC holds 33% of shares, contributes 33% of ILL's funding)
- Technology Strategy Board (TSB)
- UK Shared Busines Services Ltd (UK SBS Ltd)
- Research Councils UK (RCUK)
- UK Space Agency(UK SA)
As stated in STFC's Annual Report and Accounts 2012-2013, STFC makes significant contributions to a Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL), European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), European Science Foundation (ESF), European Southern Observatory (ESO), and European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF). STFC hold voting powers in each of these organisations.
- Spectrum Limited (was set up to act as the Advisory Board for the Rainbow Seed Fund, RSF)
- Neos Interactive Limited
- Polaris House
- North Star Avenue
- SN2 1SZ
- +44 (0)1793 442 000
- House of Commons, Office of Science and Innovation: Scrutiny Report 2005 and 2006, accessed 07.09.2013.
- STFC, Annual Report and Accounts 2012-2013, accessed 09.09.2013.
- SMC, List of Funders 2011-12, accessed 17 Oct 2013.
- SMC, Funding, accessed 17 Oct 2013.