In c 1968 Hudson was Commander of the 39th Infantry Brigade, one of three British Army brigade headquarters in Northern Ireland from the outbreak of the troubles in 1969. It covered the Belfast area and its commander reported to the Commander Land Forces (Northern Ireland).
In February 2017 Hudson was appointed senior adviser for military and defence at PR and lobbying giant Burson Marsteller.  The appointment, initially for two days a week over six months but since extended into 2018 at least, will see him spearhead the firm's attempts to win more defence and security sector clients.
Revolving door appointments
August 2016, Hudson set up an independent consultancy to provide strategic advice on 'future operational landscape and potential crises' across Europe and the international community. 
Despite the outlined commissions being closely linked to Hudson's most recent role NATO role, the Ministry of Defence (MOD) expressed no concerns. His first commission is subject to a six-month wait from his last day of Crown service, and the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (ACOBA) said that he should not personally lobby government on behalf of his clients, or draw from any privileged information relating to the MOD, for up two years.
Commissions approved by ACOBA
Under his independent consultancy, Vice Admiral Hudson has accepted commissions with:
- Burson-Marsteller (BM) (February 2017)
- NATO Senior Experts Group (November 2016). The group advises on Command reform within the Alliance.
- L3 Communications, October 2016). L3 is a supplier of equipment to the MOD.
Brussels lobbying firm role from February 2017
Upon Hudson's appointment as' defence and security adviser' at Brussels Burson Marsteller its CEO Karen Massin commented:
- 'We are delighted to welcome Peter aboard. His distinguished Royal Navy career speaks for itself and his deep knowledge of EU and NATO command structures, as well as his insights into the defence and security industry, will be a considerable asset for our present and future clients.
Vice-Admiral Hudson added:
- It is a privilege to be joining one of the world’s premier agencies. The team at Burson-Marsteller attracted me by its vision, ambition and passion to deliver. I am confident my expertise in strategic planning and defence policy, as well the day-to-day operational aspects of NATO and the EU, will add genuine value to the firm and its clients.
- UK Admiral takes over NATO's new maritime command, GOV.uk, accessed 10 November 2016.
- Lieutenant-General Sir Peter Hudson, telegraph.co.uk, 6 September 2000.
- Mark Urban, Big Boys' Rules: The SAS and the Secret Struggle against the IRA, Faber and Faber, 1992, p.16.
- Burson-Marsteller appoints senior adviser for defence and security, B-M website, 31 January 2017, accessed 16 August 2017
- Peter Hudson LinkedIn, accessed 17 August 2017
- Hudson, Peter, commander, NATO maritime command, GOV.uk, accessed 10 November 2016.