Patrick Clawson is deputy director for research at the zionist Washington Institute for Near East Policy.
- He is the author or editor of twenty-four books and monographs, including Eternal Iran: Continuity and Chaos (Palgrave, 2005, with Michael Rubin) and Getting Ready for a Nuclear Ready Iran (Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College, 2005, edited with Henry Sokolski). Dr. Clawson has authored more than seventy articles about the Middle East and international economics, appears frequently on television and radio, and has published op-ed articles in major newspapers including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post. He has also testified before congressional committees more than twenty times and has been an expert witness in more than a dozen federal cases. He speaks Persian and French. Prior to joining The Washington Institute, he spent five years as senior research professor at the National Defense University's Institute for National Strategic Studies and four years each at the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and the Foreign Policy Research Institute.
- Education: Ph.D. in economics, New School for Social Research; B.A., Oberlin College
- Expertise: Energy and economics, Persian Gulf states, Iran, proliferation
- Languages: Persian (Farsi), French, Spanish, German, and Hebrew
Selected Outside Publications
• Getting Ready for a Nuclear Ready Iran (Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College, 2005), edited with Henry Sokolski • Eternal Iran: Continuity and Chaos (Palgrave, 2005), coauthored with Michael Rubin • Checking Iran's Nuclear Ambitions (Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College, 2004), edited with Henry Sokolski • U.S. Sanctions on Iran (Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, 1997) • Energy Security in the Twenty-First Century (NDU Press, 1995) • Iran's Strategic Intentions and Capabilities (NDU Press, 1994) Clawson has addressed the Henry Jackson Society on Iraq (in 2008)