Ogilvy & Mather: Who, Where, How Much?
- Shelly Lazarus Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide Chairman and CEO
- Charlotte Beers Former Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide Chairman and CEO (1992-1997)
Beers began her career as a market researcher for Uncle Ben's. She subsequently took position as an account executive at J. Walter Thompson, where she became the first female vice president in the firm's 106-year history. Beers left Thompson for Tatham-Laird & Kudner where she became CEO. She resigned in 1992 and moved to Ogilvy & Mather. Beers stayed for four years, increasing billings by $2 billion, before handing over the reins to current CEO Shelly Lazarus (see above). She then returned to J. Walter Thompson Worldwide, where she became chairman. On 2 October 2001 Beers left the business community to work for the US government; she was sworn in as the Under Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy and Public Affairs (at the US Department of State). Beers was assigned, amongst other things, to sell the so-called War on Terrorism to the public.
O&M - "Run by white male suits" Shelly Lazarus is quoted as saying that Beers helped to pave the way for her leadership. Beers and Lazarus have both said they believed that the Ogilvy succession was an important step for women even though there are more women in top agencies positions than ever before. However, women make up just 12% of corporate officers in the FORTUNE 500 list of America's biggest multinationals, and there are only six female CEOs in those companies. O&M is quite exeptional in this respect: women make up the majority at the company. O&M was the first firm in the industry to have one female CEO succeed another -- but employees do acknowledge that to a large degree the company is "basically run by white male suits."
- Steve Hayden Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide Vice Chairman
In 2001 Hayden was named vice-chairman of O&M Worldwide. He still manages the IBM account. When he was being asked about the chances of IBM to restore its image as an industry leader, Hayden answered he was confident that IBM would restore its image completely. When the journalist expressed his/her disbelief, Hayden added: "Well, I bet my career on it. So, why not? Besides, I can't lie. I'm in advertising." email@example.com
- Bob Seltzer Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide Chairman and CEO
Seltzer has developed and managed communications programs for several industries--with special focus in the areas of health care, consumer products and crisis communications. His clients have included Gillette, Kellogg, Merck, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Mercedes-Benz, IBM, Nestle and Johnson & Johnson. Prior to joining Ogilvy PR, he served as general manager and president at Porter Novelli. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Walsh London-based CEO of Ogilvy & Mather in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East
Walsh joined O&M in 1983 after 11 years at Young & Rubicam. AT O&M, he has been Management Supervisor on Beecham Foods, Air Canada, Spillers Petfoods, Polaroid and American Express. In 1989 he was elected to the Ogilvy Worldwide Board, became chairman of the UK Company in September of the same year, and was chairman of the UK Group from 1990 until 1999. In 1994 Walsh became CEO of Ogilvy & Mather, Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.
Walsh participates in the Marketing Group of Great Britain and is involved as a trustee of the British Red Cross Society. He was a World Trustee of the World Wildlife Fund for 3 years and continues to act as a special adviser.
For the other Board Members, see: http://www.ogilvy.com/company/
Headquarters USA Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide Worldwide Plaza 309 West 49th Street New York NY 10019-7399 USA
Tel: (1-212) 237 4000 Fax: (1-212) 237 5123
Ogilvy & Mather 10 Cabot Square London E14 4QB Tel: +44 (0)20 7345 3000 Fax: +44 (0)20 7345 9000
Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide Ludgate House 245 Blackfriars Road London SE1 9UY Tel: +44 (0)20 7309 1000 Fax: +44 (0)20 7309 1001 Website: www.ogilvy.co.uk/
Ogilvy claims to have the single largest communications resource under one brand under one roof in the UK, housing over 800 people in its offices in Canary Wharf.
WPP Group 27 Farm Street London W1X 6RD Tel: +44 (0)20 7408 2204 Fax: +44 (0)20 7872 8088
Like Burson-Marsteller and Hill & Knowlton, Ogilvy & Mather is owned by WPP, one of the world's largest advertsing and media services conglomerate. Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide has 35 US offices and a further 359 worldwide in over 90 countries. Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide has recently been mentioned as the world’s ninth largest agency network, with billings totaling almost $13 billion.
Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide (or the Ogilvy Group) functions as a network consisting of many offices, branches and subsidiaries all over the world. The company's subsidiary, OgilvyInteractive, specializes in building brands and cultivating customer loyalty. OgilvyOne, a consulting subsidiary, offers one-to-one marketing campaigns aimed to create customer relationships.
- Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide is another branch of Ogilvy & Mather. Bob Seltzer is Ogilvy PR Chairman and CEO. Ogilvy PR offers services, including consumer marketing, corporate branding, public affairs lobbying, and creative media.
Its Technology Practice operates under the Alexander Ogilvy brand. Headquartered in New York, Ogilvy PR has offices in 59 markets across the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia and Africa. Ogilvy PR also includes two wholly owned subsidiaries: B|W|R (entertainment) and Feinstein Kean Healthcare (healthcare and biotechnology).
- Feinstein Kean Healthcare (FKH) was founded in 1987 to meet the communications needs of the emerging biotechnology industry. Its clients include Merck&Co, Novartis, Pfizer and US Genomics. FKH homepage: www.fkhealth.com/
Managing Director FKH Patricia Jones chaired a workshop at BIO 2002 (the International Biotech Convention, bringing together all the beneficiaries of genetic engineering) about communications challenges facing the biotech industry selling their products to various stakeholders.
- B/W/R, servicing the entertainment industry, deals with, amongst other things, media relations for celebrities such as Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt, Renee Zellweger and Reese Witherspoon.
- ^Charlotte Beers Biography', infoplease.com website: www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0776487.html accessed 23 May 2002
- ^Charlotte Beers biography, US Department of State website: www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/biog/5319.htm accessed 23 May 2002
- ^'America is not a hamburger', by Naomi Klein, The Guardian, 14 March 2002, The Guardian website: www.guardian.co.uk/GWeekly/Story/0,3939,670752,00.html accessed 23 May 2002
- ^ 'Charlotte Beers at O&M', The Centre for Interactive Advertsisng, CIA website: www.ciadvertising.org/studies/student/00_spring/theory/dabney/public_html/OMCB.html accessed 23 May 2002
- ^ 'Plenty of power, not a man in sight', by Vera Titunik, Fortune, 1 April 2002, Fortune website: www.fortune.com/indexw.jhtml?channel=artcol.jhtml&doc_id=206831 accessed 20 May 2002
- ^'Ogilvy & Mather profile', iWon website: www.iwon.com/home/careers/company_profile/0,15623,353,00.html accessed 23 May 2002
- ^'He Made the Best Ad Ever', by Bradley Johnson, Wired website: www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.08/hayden.html accessed 23 May 2002
- ^ Short biography Bob Seltzer, Pale University, School of Business, website: www.pace.edu/lubin/graduate/seltzer.html accessed 10 June 2002
- ^ Ogilvy Board Members, Mike Walsh, Ogilvy website: www.ogilvy.com/company/board/main.asp?board=walsh.html accessed 10 June 2002
- ^ Ogilvy & Mather UK website: www.ogilvy.co.uk/o_mather/who_flash.asp accessed 23 May 2002
- ^SAP.com e-business platform, at: www.sap.com/company/publications/fs_media.asp?pressID=350 accessed 23 May 2002
- ^Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide, Holmes Report, PR firms, Holmes Report website: www.holmesreport.com/agencies/details.cfm?agencyid=53 accessed 23 May 2002
- ^ 'Communication', BIO 2002, website: www.bio2002.org/sessions/allsessions.asp?tid=3 accessed 6 June 2002