Baker was appointed parliamentary under-secretary at the Department for Transport in 2010. In October 2013, he was appointed as minister of state for crime prevention in October 2013 at the Home Office. He resigned from this role on 3 November 2014.
Baker told The Independent that 'the experience of working at the Home Office had been like "walking through mud" as he found his plans thwarted by the Home Secretary and her advisers.' 
Previously Baker has carried out a number of different roles within parliament, including:
- Shadow secretary of state for the environment and transport from 2002 to 2005.
- Shadow environment and rural affairs secretary from 2005 to 2006.
- Shadow minister for the cabinet office and chancellor of the duchy of Lancaster in 2007.
- Shadow secretary of state for transport from 2007 to 2010.
- Parliamentary under secretary for transport from 2010 to 2013. 
- Address: 23 East Street, Lewes, BN7 2LJ
- Telephone: 01273 480281
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
- Telephone: 020 7219 2864*
- Fax: 020 7219 0445
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Home Office, Direct Communications Unit, 2 Marsham Street, London, SW1P 4DF
- Telephone: 020 7035 4848
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web & Social media
- Website: http://normanbaker.org.uk
- BBC News Lewes, accessed 11 May 2015.
- Norman Baker, www.parliament.uk, accessed 20 August 2013.
- Ministerial appointments: 7 October 2013, Prime Minister's Office, 7 October 2013.
- Nigel Morris http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/norman-baker-i-resign--and-its-theresa-mays-fault-9837189.html The Independent, 3 November 2014, accessed 2 March 2015
- The Rt Hon Norman Baker MP GOV.UK, accessed 27 February 2015