In 2011 Dakin was appointed opposition whip.
Stance on fracking
Dakin's constituency includes one conventional oil and gas licence block, awarded to IGas by the Oil and Gas Authority under the 14th licensing round in 2015. No applications or plans for are currently underway. 
Dakin has a mixed voting record on fracking. 
- 26 January 2015: voted in favour of making fracking companies apply for an environmental permit before conducting exploratory drilling. He was absent for a vote on an amendment to the Infrastructure Bill to include an 18 month moratorium on fracking.
- 11 February 2015: voted against requiring more pre-conditions for where fracking can take place.
- 16 December 2015: voted against weakening regulations on fracking in protected areas and national parks.
All-party parliamentary groups
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Apprenticeships, Member
- All Party Parliamentary Group for Education
- All Party Parliamentary Group for Skills and Employment
- All Party Parliamentary Group for the replacement of animals in medical experimentation.
- All-Party Parliamentary Wine and Spirit Group - Vice-chair
- Nic Dakin www.parliament.uk, accessed 11 May 2015
- Scunthorpe Telegraph, Scunthorpe Telegraph, 28 January 2014, accessed 3 January 2017.
- Oil and gas: licensing rounds, GOV.uk, accessed 14 November 2016.
- TheyWorkForYou | Nicholas Dakin, TheyWorkForYou, accessed 3 January 2017.
- About Nic Dakin, accessed 11 May 2015
- Wine & Spirit APPG Register Feb 16, www.parliament.uk, accessed 19 February 2016