- Joined the Boards of Unilever PLC and Unilever NV in 1987 and served respectively as finance director, foods director and detergents director until his appointment as chairman and CEO in 1996.
- 2003 joined the Board of Reuters as a non-executive director and became chairman in 2004.
- Chairman of the Nelson Mandela Legacy Trust (UK)
- 2006 appointed Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the British Museum
- Co-chairs the Investment Climate Facility (ICF) for Africa.
- Chairman of the International Business Council
- Member of the Foundation Board of the World Economic Forum
- Trustee of the Leverhulme Trust
- President of South Africa’s International Investment Advisory Council
- International Advisory Board of the Council on Foreign Relations
- Blackstone European Advisory Board,
- Advisory Board of Tsinghua University
- Advisory Board of Spencer Stuart.
- He is a senior advisor to Morgan Stanley International
- 2003-5 Chairman of the Conference Board
- 2004-5 Co-Chairman of the Transatlantic Business Dialogue (TABD)
- Non-executive director of Merck (2000-2003), Ericsson (2000-2002), Bank of Ireland (1990-1999) and the Prudential Corporation (1992-1999). He has also been President of the Advertising Association (2000-2005), a Member of the Kok Commission on the Lisbon Agenda, a Member of the Accounting Standards Review Committee, Chairman of the CBI Europe Committee, and Member of the International Policy Council for Agriculture and Trade.
- Fellow, Association of Corporate Treasurers
- US Business Council; EU-China Business Council; Trilateral Commission; Shanghai Mayor's International Business Leaders' Council.
Mention in the House of Commons
When Norman Baker brought the House of Commons' attention to Hakluyt in 2010, Fitzgerald was one of the names mentioned as well as Kieran Prendergast, Keith Craig, Sir Rod Eddington, Robert Webb QC and Mark Getty.
Degree in Commerce, University College Dublin.
- Niall FitzGerald, KBE Authorised Biography – Debrett’s People of Today, Niall FitzGerald, KBE Profile. debretts.com, accessed 23 Sept 2014.
- Parliament Hansard House of Commons Publications, accessed 23 September 2014