NHS Improvement is the health service regulator in England.
It is responsible for overseeing foundation trusts and NHS trusts, as well as independent providers that provide NHS-funded care.
- Jim Mackey, CEO
- Bob Alexander, Executive Director of Resources/Deputy CEO. He is also a member of the advisory group of CHKS Ltd, a healthcare intelligence and quality improvement firm, part of Capita Healthcare Decisions.
- Stephen Hay, Executive Director of Regulation/Deputy CEO. Formerly with KPMG.
- Dr Kathy McLean, Executive Medical Director
- Ruth May, Executive Director of Nursing
Board of directors
- Ed Smith, chair. Due to step down summer 2017. Also Non-Executive Director for NHS Property Services, and the Lead Non-Executive Director for the Department for Transport. Former Global Assurance Chief Operating Officer and Strategy Chairman of PwC.
- Sigurd Reinton, former McKinsey senior partner.
- Lord Ara Darzi; Darzi is also on the Advisory Board of GE Healthcare among other roles, including: Executive Chair, World Innovation Summit for Health, Qatar Foundation.
- Richard Douglas, current Senior Counsel to healthcare lobbying firm, Incisive Health; former Director-General of Finance at the Department of Health
- Lord Patrick Carter; described as having 'served on the Boards of US and UK healthcare, insurance and technology companies'; current Chair of Primary Insurance Group; director of Health Services Laboratories and Glenholme Healthcare Group. He also founded Westminster Health Care in 1985 'which he built into a leading provider of care to both the private and public sectors in the UK'.
- Professor Glynis Breakwell; Vice-Chancellor of the University of Bath; described as 'acting as an adviser to the higher education sector, government organisations, multi-national corporations and not-for-profit organisations.'
- Caroline Thomson, Dept. chair; also Chair of Digital UK and director of London First.
- Sarah Harkness, described as an 'experienced finance professional'
- Laura Carstensen, former partner Slaughter and May, current Commissioner of the UK Equality and Human Rights Commission.