NHS England is the body leading the NHS in England. It oversees the budget, planning, delivery and day-to-day operation of the commissioning side of the NHS in England.
It is an executive non-departmental public body (NDPB) of the Department of Health.
Members of NHS England’s Executive Group are:
- Simon Stevens, CEO; former vice-president of UnitedHealth Group, the US health insurer and technolofy firm.
- Matthew Swindells, National Director – Operations and Information, appointed December 2015 (replacing Barbara Hakin. The former NHS IT boss was previously the US health tech giant Cerner from 2010. Prior to that he was managing director for health at Tribal for two years. He is also listed on Companies House as a director of Capita Consulting for a biref period in 2010; and a director of Open Public Services UK (est. 2011, disolved 2013), with Tim Kelsey and Roger Taylor. Swindells previously worked in the Department of Health as a Chief Information Officer and as a Senior Policy Advisor to the Secretary of State for Health. Prior to this he served as a Principal Adviser in the Prime Minister’s Office of Public Service Reform.
- Ian Dodge, National Director for Commissioning Strategy (from July 2014). He is also Adjunct Professor at the Institute of Global Health Innovation, Imperial College, London. Previously director of policy in the Department of Health and before that chief policy advisor on health to Prime Minister Tony Blair.
- Paul Baumann, Chief Financial Officer; formerly with Unilever (to 2007)
- Professor Jane Cummings, Chief Nursing Officer
- Professor Stephen Powis, National Medical Director (replaced Professor Bruce Keogh in early 2018)
- Emily Lawson, National Director for Transformation and Corporate Operations; replaced Karen Wheeler, who was former Director General in the Department of Health and before that 'spent 15 years as a management consultant, initially with Andersen Consulting.
Board of directors
- Professor Malcolm Grant, chair
- Moira Gibb
- Lord Victor Adebowale
- Professor John Burn
- Noel Gordon, also Chair of NHS Digital; formerly with Accenture, where he was global managing director of the Banking Industry Practice. He is described as having 'extensive practical experience of driving fundamental innovations in transforming industries, and of big data, analytics, mobile and digital technologies'.
- David Roberts, also chair of Nationwide Building Society
- Michelle Mitchell, also CEO of Multiple Sclerosis Society UK
- Wendy Becker, spent 15 years at McKinsey in both San Francisco and London with nine years as a partner
- Joanne Shaw
Operations and Information Directorate
- Simon Weldon, Director of NHS Operations and Delivery
- Roger Davidson, Director of Engagement and Communications (Sustainability and Transformation)
- South: Jennifer Howells
- North: Richard Barke
- Midlands and East: Dr Paul Watson
- London: Dr Anne Rainsberry
- Board members, NHS England website, accessed June 2017