In addition to his role as broadcast adviser, Salter provides advice to the Conservatives on gay issues and was named the eighth most influential gay person in the UK in the Independent's Pink List 2010.
Salter once requested that the media stop calling Conservatives "Tories". In March 2010, he sent an email to broadcasters, as follows:
- In the run-up to the election is there any way people could call us Conservatives rather than Tories? It will be Conservative candidates people are voting for and they will be Conservative policies rather than Tory. I know both terms will always be used but it would be nice if in reports people could remember to call us Conservative(s)!
Salter was paid an annual salary of £65,000 for his role as senior broadcast adviser. 
- Department of Information Services, "Parliamentary Information List", accessed 07.09.10
- Pride In London Accessed 18 September 2014
- Staff writers, "The IoS Pink List 2010", The Independent, 01.08.10, accessed 08.09.10
- Andrew Grice, "Please stop calling us the Tories, say the Tories", The Independent, 31.03.05, accessed 08.09.10
- Special advisers in post, 30 November 2014 GOV.UK, accessed 28 April 2015