Haigh was appointed as the Labour candidate for Sheffield Heeley in March 2015 following the retirement of Meg Munn who had held the seat since 2001.  She went on to gain a majority of 12,954 in the 2015 general election. 
Stance on fracking Her constituency includes two shale gas exploration licences held by petrochemical giant Ineos.
In 2018 Haigh was appointed co-vice chair of the new All Party Parliamentary Group on the Impact of Shale Gas.
Parliamentary questions on fracking in the UK
In May 2018 Haigh asked the following question on the evidence behind the government's fracking proposals:
- To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, with reference to the Written Ministerial Statement of 17 May 2018, HCWS 690 on Energy Policy:
- What representations he has received from (a) organisations, (b) businesses and (c) individuals on fracking;
- Which applications for exploratory fracking informed that statement;
- If he will publish the evidential basis for the statement that fracking will support jobs and the local economy; and what assessment he has made of the effect of fracking on the
- (i) insurance and
- (ii) tourism industry.
- Louise Haigh MP www.parliament.uk, accessed 26 May 2015
- Meg Nunn www.parliament.uk, accessed 26 May 2015
- Louise Haigh calls for halt in fracking exploration, August 2015.